6x6 under $500

jonahr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Interested in getting into MF photography, have shot holga for a while and love the square but want to go past a low quality novelty photo. I have no preference as to SLR or TLR What would you recommend. I'm looking to spend under $500 for a complete system.

Thanks!

Well, any of the Yashica TLRs are a good choice. I started out with the LM. Cost me $30 on ebay. I also like the Bronica--I use a 645. Look for a Bronica SQ. That should be a good system. Of course there's the Hassy, but I doubt that you'll find that for less than $500...

I would recommend either a Mamiya C220/C330 (TLR) or a Bronica SQ-series
(SLR) outfit. You could probably get either one with 2 or 3 lenses at that
price if you shop around.

Another vote for a Bronica SQ series camera. If you want the option of a metering prism go for a SQ-A (or the more expensive SQ-Ai). If you don't need in-camera metering look for a SQ-B. I would avoid the SQ (first of the series) as it does not have mirror lock up, which can be a problem with the vibrations caused by such a big mirror. Be aware that there are 2 types of lenses for the SQ cameras: the S and PS. The PS lenses are more modern and arguably better than the S lenses. SQ, SQ-A and SQ-B cameras will take both S and PS lenses whereas the more modern SQ-Ai will only take the PS lenses (usually more expensive).

hah. and i got 2 mamiya 645's and soon a RZ-67 Pro II.. and guess what i just ordered 10 minutes ago?

A holga 120N:D

To keep it OT, you can pick up a fairly cheap RB-67 if you are lucky though for about $500. Its 6x7 and not 6x6 but you can always crop :D

To keep it OT, you can pick up a fairly cheap RB-67 if you are lucky though for about $500. Its 6x7 and not 6x6 but you can always crop :D

If you really want to shoot 6x6, carrying the extra bulk of an RB-67 does not really make sense. Unless your camera is going to stay in a studio of course.

yeah true. they are a bit of a hassle to drag around =)

Still just wanted to offer them up as alternative. And they are good in the sense that you really wont need a gym card ;)

Keep your eyes open; there are deals a plenty.

I got my Rolleiflex Planar for $150 at a charity garage sale! It's worth a lot more than that, and one of the few film cameras I own that continues to gain in value.

I've seen several Hasselblad 500 series cameras with a standard lens and A12 back go for under $500. It was hard for me to find a buyer willing to pay $1000 for my 500 c/m with a 80mm lens, 150mm lens, 4 A12 backs, WL finder, metered prism finder, hoods, etc...

You might be into trying out a medium format folder. They sort of range between the Holga and TLRs/SLRs. The better ones have excellent image quality. I have a couple of very nice Zeiss folders, but my favorite is the Ansco Titan, which usually goes for cheap because no one know what a great camera it is. I own 4 (it really is one of my favorites!) that I purchased for between $15 and $90 each. It's medium format that folds up and fits in a back pocket like an overstuffed wallet.

A super cool 6x6 SLR if you can find one is the Norita 66. Even before the digital revolution they sold for less than $500. It looks a lot like the Pentax 67, but it's 6x6. It was designed by the guy who made the legendary Nikon F. Nikon wouldn't go medium format, so he split and built it for another company. Something like Writtenreck, then someone else (Warner?) bought the design, but most recently (70s) it was made by Norita, and marketed by Graflex.

The metered prism is monstrous; I always preferred using the no-meter prism and a hand held light meter. There are a variety of lenses available including a least one leaf shutter model. The really cool thing though is the standard 80mm f/2 lens. That's fast for medium format, and it's razor sharp. Before I bought a 5D it was my favorite low light shooter. F/2 lens and Tri-X rated 1600 souped in Diafine; it rocked!

I also think the Bronica S is a pretty sweet looking camera. Don't know much about 'em, though...I think it was Japan's response to the Hasselblad after the War.

I also think the Bronica S is a pretty sweet looking camera. Don't know much about 'em, though...I think it was Japan's response to the Hasselblad after the War.

I would avoid the "S" and the next model, the "S2" due to poor design causing
major reliability problems. After the S2 came the S2A which was the first
Bronica that could be called reliable.

Even better would be the models following the S2A: The EC and EC-TL and
later models.

I would avoid the "S" and the next model, the "S2" due to poor design causing
major reliability problems. After the S2 came the S2A which was the first
Bronica that could be called reliable.

Even better would be the models following the S2A: The EC and EC-TL and
later models.

+1. The Bronica S is more of a collectible than a user camera. And it is not that much cheaper than something more modern and reliable such as The EC or even SQ-A.

It may not be reliable, but it looks really cool! :p

The trouble with the S serise - S/S2/S2a/EC/EC-TL, is they're all knocking on a bit now, you have a better chance of getting something that isn't going to need a little....restoration, if you buy into a younger range.
Don't get me wrong, the S serise is a pro camera and was built like a tank to last, they're all pretty tough, but time takes its toll on the light seals, they break down through age, bits fall into the mechanism and the camera fails.
I had an EC, it worked perfectly until the light seals went, that and the availability of bits for them prompted me to move on, it was 30+ years old and felt like it would go for another 30 with the seals replaced.
I you don't fancy too much maintenance, go for something newer like the SQ.

If you really want to shoot 6x6, carrying the extra bulk of an RB-67 does not really make sense. Unless your camera is going to stay in a studio of course.

True, unless, of course you actually tend to print (or have clients that use) rectangular images. I have several folders, some TLR's and both Hassy and RB systems, my Hassy system has been pared down to a 500EL and a 150 Sonnar, otherwise I shoot the RB. Traveling light is possible, a 65/127/180, body and 2 back outfit easily fit into a backpack, even a larger camera bag (I use an ancient Tamrac pro 12, now called 612, I think.

The RB is larger, but not really that heavy, after all , it's mostly an empty box. I found myself reaching for the RB almost always instead of the Hassy, so I ended up selling off most of the outfit and keeping just the one body/lens combo that I do use. There is a lot of advantage to real estate, 50% more usable negative is a big advantage when enlarging.

There are other options, if you know you want to stay with 6x6, a used 500C/80 C/A12 back can be had for $500 or so, if you're patient. (the only advantage/difference a C/M has over a C is interchangeable focusing screens, how often do you really think you'll be changing it? I had mine changed once in 20 years, mostly due to the fact that it got pretty ratty because I tend to mark up the screen with a grease pencil for still life work) Yashicaflexes are highly regarded, the Mamiya C series are nice, but if you think an RB is heavy, wait til you pick a C330 up, it's at least as heavy, if not heavier. I used a Rolleiflex all through high school, but at this point, with the scarcity of good, reasonably priced repair persons, it'd be an expensive option to maintain. A Ciroflex would be another option I've heard some good things and seen fantastic images from as well.

erie

Most reactions

Back