70-200 2.8 L Lens on the way.........feel guilty!

Sgtchavez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been saving for about 8 months to buy a must have lens to add to my gear. I currently have the 50, a sigma 17-50 2.8, a canon 24-70 3.5 and now, as of next wednesday, I should a spanking new 70-200mm 2.8 L. I'm feeling a little bit of guilt for the purchase as this lens will cost me more than my body. I spent the last few days trying to convince myself that I didn't need it and I should just save the money. In talking to a couple of professionals and getting their feedback and also talking to other amateurs, I got some mixed signals. The pros tell me that it is a must have lens for wedding photography, sports photography and wildlife, the amateurs tell me that it is not worth the money. My wife is very supportive of my hobby and she understands that it is something I love.............I love her for that. I want to go all the way with this love and I feel like I'm taking the right steps. What do you guys think? have you guys felt same feeling of remorse when making a big purchase such as this?

If you get a 1Ds III, you should stop feeling guilty about the lens purchase!

:)

It would be hard not to end up with more invested in lenses than the camera body. That's the nature of the DSLR business.

Don't feel bad, man. I'm right there with ya. I just dropped over $1300 on a Nikon D90 and a Sigma 18-50 2.8, and a couple of books. :mrgreen::banghead::mrgreen::banghead::mrgreen:

Yesterday I did a few sideline jobs and made a week's salary in one day, but can't make myself pull the trigger on a $200 grip for the D90. :lol:

Congrats on having a wonderful wife, too! Take her to dinner. Enjoy that lens.

Guilt..... another useless and limiting self imposed human condition. :thumbdown:

Use your lens, get good with it. Buying it and not being able to use properly, well that's a reason to feel bad. :mrgreen:

You'll get over it very soon. And many lenses cost more than bodies. I own a lens that cost more than most SLR bodies out there, but I love using it and will continue to enjoy it for many, many years. Bodies will come and go, but that 70-200 you just got will last darn near forever.

Derrick

Yah a lens like that should last you decades (if treated right) whilst a camera body (especaily digital with limited shutter lifespans) will come and go. A good L lens is a longe term investment rather than a quicker purchase.
Now stop starting at it - take it out and go shoot :)

The only way you should feel bad is if you bought it off of EBAY and did not use MS Live Cashback. It's at 14% right now and saved me $200 in my 70-200 F2.8L IS.

Thanks guys.............I just can't wait until I get my new lens in a couple of days. I ordered it to arrive on my day off so it should be fun. I spent all day at work thinking about it and I feel much better already. I do have a great wife...................she knew this was a passion of mine from the get go and she's definately supported me through my highs and lows.

I'll post up some samples soon.

Ouch.

Sooner or later you will be feeling guilty - for not getting the f/2.8 IS instead. :D

Ouch.

Sooner or later you will be feeling guilty - for not getting the f/2.8 IS instead. :D

Yeah, I've been told that by a couple of people. But I've also been told that the regular L is a superb lens as well. I'd like to think that I have a pretty steady grip (From my years of shooting and hand holding the saw for hours) and hopefully I'll be okay. The IS was an extra 600 dollars and that is something that I couldn't justify. I had made some extra cash and hopefully I won't regret it.

Yeah, I've been told that by a couple of people. But I've also been told that the regular L is a superb lens as well. I'd like to think that I have a pretty steady grip (From my years of shooting and hand holding the saw for hours) and hopefully I'll be okay. The IS was an extra 600 dollars and that is something that I couldn't justify. I had made some extra cash and hopefully I won't regret it.

Kind of depends on what you shoot and you technical skill level. I didn't and still don't regret it. The $600 I saved there went to a 16-35 f2.8L II instead.

I have to agree. It all depends on your situations. I am shooting some weddings, so the IS will come in handy. No flash allowed. I have used them all and they all rock..

Most reactions

Back