70-200 2.8 new or 70-200 2.8 IS used

Foxtrot_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi this must be a stupid question but I need some input. I working on upgrading my lenses. I am trying to decide between getting a new 70-200 2.8L with no IS($1300) or a used 70-200 2.8L IS for around $1500-1700, the $1500 are sold by individuals and it scares me or companies that I've never heard of. The other option is a refurbished 70-200 IS II $1999 but this is out of stock and I'm not sure I can pony up all that cash.
I do glamour photography, I'm still a newbie, I do a lot of beach shoots, and inside shoots with backdrop.
Any advice will be appreciated.

I do glamour photography, I'm still a newbie, I do a lot of beach shoots, and inside shoots with backdrop.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Doesn't sound like you need IS then.

Not sure the IS is necessary. I have it, but I find that shooting at 1/200th I don't need it. The 135mm is a dream.

Plot thickens... A friend of mine has this lens, he barely uses it and when i told him I might be buying it new he said he will sell it to me for $800. He is not a photographer, he bought a mark and the 70-200 2.8L a several years ago and he rarely uses it because most of the pictures he takes it's inside buildings and the 70-200 doesn't help in tight spaces. Like I said before I am afraid of buying something I don't know the condition, he has offered to loan it to me for a week to play with it and check it out. Is there a place I can take it to get it checked in a weeks time? What should I be looking at regarding damages?

Foxtrot_01 said:
Plot thickens... A friend of mine has this lens, he barely uses it and when i told him I might be buying it new he said he will sell it to me for $800. He is not a photographer, he bought a mark and the 70-200 2.8L a several years ago and he rarely uses it because most of the pictures he takes it's inside buildings and the 70-200 doesn't help in tight spaces. Like I said before I am afraid of buying something I don't know the condition, he has offered to loan it to me for a week to play with it and check it out. Is there a place I can take it to get it checked in a weeks time? What should I be looking at regarding damages?

One additional fact, the lens is about 5-6 years old. Is there a place where you can take a lens to get it checked? Like when you buy a used car and you take it to the mechanic? Not sure anyone is from Miami but if someone knows any place. Or what signs to look for.

You could take it to a camera shop...

Do you trust this guy? If he bought it new and rarely used it, it's probably in pretty good shape.

I don't think is much if I trust him or not I actually do, but I think he bought it more
As novelty, he told me he barely uses it because he takes photos inside of his projects(I think he does high end wood panels for expensive houses) he doesn't use it much because he is indoors and he rather have a 24-80 2.8L.
The problem is that since he is not that much into photography I doubt he knows if the lens has problems, meaning the lens is almost always locked, but it could have fungus or dust and I don't think he would know.
I called a shop and they said they could look at it but it wasn't very promising on a thorough check. I will even go as far as sending to canon if they could check it, any ideas?

Most reactions

Back