70-200 2.8L or 24-70 2.8L for Canon

sunlou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I have to photo ops this coming week end and I wish to rent a lense.

I have the little sister's figure skating show (extremely low light, bad vantage poin as they have their assigned photographers and i can't go close to the rink and fast movement)

and a studio | boudoirish session of three women with 3 pro flashes and full studio setup.

Should i hire a

Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM - 35$
Canon 70 - 200mm F/2.8 L IS USM II - 45$
Canon EF 85 mm F/1.2 L USM - 45$

I work with :

- rebel EOS 1000 (rebel XS)
- Sigma EF530 flash
- 50mm 1.8 Canon
- 70-300 3.5-5.6 sigma
- 18 - 55mm 3.5-5.6 Canon

My first reflex would be 70-200mm but i worry that in studio it'll be too zommed ... mind you i did use my 70 - 300 in this studio but i looked ackward being at the other end.

Please Help...

If you can get 70mm to work in your studio before without much trouble then I would say for skiing and studio work the 70-200mm is the better choice since it gives you the wide aperture and the longer reach you'll need for the sports. However I'll also warn that the 70-200mm f2.8 is fairly big and fairly white and if its a more official event you might not be allowed to use it (it depends on the venue so phone ahead and ask - some places will have limits like "no pro gear" through to things like "no gear over Xcm long").

If you found that 70mm just did not work at all in your studio without problems then the 24-70mm is the better choice - of course that might struggle in the skiing, but it should be small enough not to be a problem (unless they throw the "no pro gear" argument up at which point getting any DSLR in might be tricky

For the ice show I would use the 70-200 with the 2.8. Better to have a fixed. I have shot a lot of ice hockey and the 24-70 will not cut it. You could also use 70-200 in the studio for individual shots and then switch to 18-55 for group. Just watch distortion with 18-55 by getting to close.

Good Luck!

Most reactions

Back