70-200 F/2.8 vr ii metal shavings

thehollywoodteam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My cousin just received this lens from amazon and recently noticed metal shavings in the barrel. Shavings are very small but generalized throughout the barrel. Anybody else come across this and is this a reason for concern. If he returns it, what guarantee is there he wont get another one like this.

My cousin just received this lens from amazon and recently noticed metal shavings in the barrel. Shavings are very small but generalized throughout the barrel. Anybody else come across this and is this a reason for concern. If he returns it, what guarantee is there he wont get another one like this.
If he returns it chances are he'll get another one with the shavings. Right now the problem is wide spread and Nikon is still in denial. They have issued statements saying it's not a defect. So, until Nikon recognizes the problem and changes their manufacturing to correct the issue, the problem will continue.

If he returns it chances are he'll get another one with the shavings. Right now the problem is wide spread and Nikon is still in denial. They have issued statements saying it's not a defect. So, until Nikon recognizes the problem and changes their manufacturing to correct the issue, the problem will continue.

No statements have been issued, AFAIK. The two responses that appear on Nikon Rumors (one from a Nikon service center in China, and one from Nikon Norway -- are responses to a customer and a "nikongear" forum member respectively -- and not meant for publication. Again, AFAIK.

My apologies if I misinterpreted those postings.

But yes.... it looks like Nikon is hoping the problem will go away if they just ignore it. My 70-200 VR II doesn't have this issue (at present) ... so I wonder how they will explain that. It's not a defect, but some have it... and some don't? :confused:

The latest:

Nikon Asia also claims there is no problem with the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens

By [NR] admin | January 15, 2010

This is the direct link (in Chinese) to a Nikon Asia Q&A entry. Rough translation:
Question:
Why does the internals of the lens look so rough? Will the bubble-like stuffs affect the PQ? Will they shed off and accumulated in the lens?
Answer:
The bubbles were the remains during the production of the lens. They are magnified through the lens so look obvious. It will not affect PQ and will not accumulate.
fyi: pictures of my 70-200 VRII lens with a perfect “thread”: picture 1 | picture 2.

:confused:

I'm sorry if I'm going against the grain here. But until I see that the picture quality of a image has been damaged by the "metal shavings" I don't think Nikon needs to say anything. So far all I've seen are pictures down the barrel which doesn't say anything to me.

So can someone show he a photo where the photo quality has been damaged by the 70-200?

But if I buy a brand new car, and the hood is scratched, I am not going to be happy even though it will not affect the driving experience.

Its not like you look down the barrel of the lense and go "Oh that looks nice" unlike with your car hood, which would be visible to everyone. I think that is a poor arguement. I would be more worried about image quality than the barrel.

If I was offered a Ferrari I would take it even if it had a scratched hood.

It is simply because it may affect the value of the lens since it is an expensive lens.

Mine has the rough edges on the inside threaded part. I'm a bit disappointed given how much I paid for this lens. But so far I don't see any indication this could affect image quality. For the record, there's no loose fragments inside the lens, just the roughly machined threaded part.

I can't return the lens to the store because it's past the 14 day return period. I should probably call Nikon Canada to notify them. Like others with this problem I'll be waiting for Nikon to make a statement.

I posted a picture of my lens. It's a little hard to see because it was difficult to focus on the threads:
Misc_Lens.jpg

Most reactions

Back