70-200 F2.8 MKII VS ......

Hardrock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok I just recently sold my 70-200 f2.8 mki due to I was not real happy with the f2.8 it was to soft for my likings. I felt that I should have just bought the F4 IS version due to most of the time I was at F4(the lens was a very good lens f4 and up). I originally was saving for a supertelephoto but that got put on hold so to the point! I decided now I was going to get the new 70-200 f2.8 mkII version but after some serious thinking maybe I should just get the 85 F1.8 and 135 f2 since they are faster and sharper or as sharp. The IS sounds great but I usually dont use it due to higher shutter speeds. I realize you lose the the versatility but most off my shooting I don't really need the zoom. Plus I could almost add the 35L with the other 2 lens for about $500 more. So for the owners of both what do you guys think??? I do have the funds saved for the MKII so the money isn't the issue its the comparison of the 3 that has got me in a tail spin. Also I rented the 135 f2 and loved it!
Thanks as always TPF.

I originally was saving for a supertelephoto but that got put on hold so to the point!

The 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2 will take a 2*TC to give you a 140-400mm f5.6 IS L lens which has image quality and performance (optically) pretty much the same as a good copy of the 100-400mm. AF speed is a bit slower, but still a very usable speed and the 4stop IS of the lens keeps up well with the 2*TC. If you were considering a longer telephoto the 70-200mm M2 is an ideal option to get you a good quality longer reach if you feel that you need it.

As for the shorter focal ranges and the primes I can't really say (I don't use them) though if you feel you want prime glass go for it - the wider apertures are something the zoom can't do. Sharpness wise though the 70-200mm M2 is on a very even footing with the primes.

Thanks I did consider that the 70-200 works well with a tc but I already have a 300 f4 and it works well with a tc. Although I have not seen a side by side comparison.

Most reactions

Back