70-200 lens purchase - please advise

xyphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I am looking to add a 70-200mm lens to my collection. The two lenses I am debating on are 1. Sigma 70-200mm OS (latest version) and 2. Nikon 70-200mm VR (not VR II). The price is about the same for a brand new Sigma or a used Nikon in very good condition. Please provide your experience on using either these two lenses. Thank you for your advice.

Luvn' the Nikkor 70-200
bigthumb.gif

About the 70-200, is it as good as the new VRII. I want to buy a lens too, but not spend more than 2000. I was thinking between the 24-70 or 70-200 VR.

my vote is get both
bigthumb.gif

About the 70-200, is it as good as the new VRII. I want to buy a lens too, but not spend more than 2000. I was thinking between the 24-70 or 70-200 VR.

my vote is get both
bigthumb.gif

If only...my husband said that I can get one lens that I really want. I shoot mostly family portraits so I'm having a hard time deciding.

I went with the 24-70, and i use it 80% of the time or more. Thing is i think its just a more usefully all around focal, at least for me, and someone who can afford only one 2.8 lens ATM

I went with the 24-70, and i use it 80% of the time or more. Thing is i think its just a more usefully all around focal, at least for me, and someone who can afford only one 2.8 lens ATM

+1

The 24-70 lives on mine 95% of the time. And before i got a full frame camera it lived on my D7000 the same, shot more at the 70 end than the 24.

I have been using 70mm - 200mm f2.8 which I purchased as second hand from a reputable used equipment supplier MPB Photographic - Buy Used Canon & Used Nikon Digital SLR Cameras, Lenses & More. I would say it's one the most handy Nikkor lens one should not do without, The lens is fast and can handle low light situation very well and the lens got more advantages than having a 400mm f4.5-5.6 provided you add a 1.4 converter. Good choice and I would advice you to buy from MPB Photography where you will not only get a good deal but quality inclusive

You can't leave the 24mm - 70mm out I would say get both of them if you can, you don't need a brand new one as long as you can get it from a reputable outlet that provides you with in depth details and condition of the lens

I would suggest you get a 80mm - 105 mm 0r 80mm - 135mm f2.8, I think those two can solve your problem and will give perfect result most of the time.

Does anyone have experience with the new Sigma 70-200mm OS? I have Nikon 24-70mm and use it the most of time. But I want to get a telephoto zoom lens to cover a bigger range.

MrsLittle said:
How is the 24-70 on a crop sensor? Is it worth the investment?

It works great. I had it on my D300 before upgrading to D700. It is one of the best lenses out there.

The 24-70 is an outstanding lens. It's not quite as versatile on a crop-sensor, but it was my 'go-to' lens on my D300 for a long time. If you can only get one of these two, then I would definitely get the 24-70 over the 70-200. You might also want to consider a used 80-200 2.8; optically, almost as good as the 70-200, just lacking the VR (Which on a 200mm lens isn't all that useful anyway). It can be found for as little as ~$600 used.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back