70-200 on D90 focus problem

Primoz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey!

I have a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VRI on my Nikon D90 and I noticed that sometimes the images are focused about 0.5m behind the subject, eventhough I am sure I focused right on the eye of the subject... Is this a problem in the lens or on my body? (I am suspecting the body not being always that accurate with focus...)
It also happens from time to time that the contact between the lens and the body isn't good and the focus doesn't work until I unmount and mount the lens back to the camera... Is this normal? (haven't noticed this problem with my other lenses yet...) Should I clean the contact surfaces? How? - rubbing alcohol?

Thanks for your help!

First, check the AF mode youre in, AF-S or AF-C, if on AF-C and you're recomposing, it will refocus on where the focus point.
Second, clean your lens/body mount

How to Clean SLR Camera Lenses

Also be aware that the actual focus point is not always centered in the [ ] brackets displayed in the viewfinder. The brackets do not define the shape or dimensions of the focus point.

You also need to know that only the center focus point the D90 has is a cross-type focus point. all the others are either a horizontal, or a vertical focus point.

Horizontal focus points detect the contrast made by vertical lines. Vertical focus points detect the contrast made by horizontal lines.

Ive had that before but I usually associate it with user error. I can be wrong though.

I have it in Single point AF-S autofocus setting and I always lock it on the eye and then carefully recompose...
Some images turn out very sharp but often I have this problem that the focus is behind the subject... I don't really know what else could I improve on my technique... I didn't have this problem with my other lenses, but I guess none of them is so sensitive in DOF (because at 200mm @2.8 it's REALLY critical for the focus to be spot on, while the my wideangle sigma and kit lens nikkor with smaller apertures are more forgiving when the focus is an inch off...)

Hi,

I have the exact same issue. Just got a 70 200mm vr1. Sometimes it works sometimes it does'nt as you explained it.
Did you find any solution?

Thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back