70-200 with 2 converters?

Very funny, i clearly wrote that nikon. 300 f4 is the price limit :p

This is what we call having champagne taste and a beer budget.
Emoticonbeercheer.gif

I use a 150-600. If I know light will be an issue it's FX instead of DX (D750 v D500).
I shoot from 18mm all the way up to 9,000mm FOV :)

Using 2x TCs on a 70-200 can affect the IQ a lot.
You'll have to spend $$ to get the best TC out there which is $400 on it's own attached to a high IQ $$ lens.
So if you are on a limited budget, just get a good lens and then crop.
Your D7100 will allow a good amount of cropping.

After that ... start saving up. The only solution to low light, and distance is money.

Do you think that buying a used d800e or d810 combined with a tamron or sigma 150-600 would be the best option? Lots of mpix , so i can crop more... And ofcours FX, i can go higher in ISO then on d7100.

Or do you think the d750 would be enough?
And then the eternal question... Sigma C or tamron? What lens is sharpest at 600mm?

If i get a FX, the nikon 200-500 wil just not be enough reach anymore.

And if i would stay with DX, would the d7200 be a big difference, or shouldnt I even think about it?

Wooh, i sure ask alot , thanks for the help!

.. But im also worried that shooting birds and wildlife in darker forests, ...

What does this mean?
I go hiking and a "dark forest" to me is near pitch black. I take photos of aircraft at night, but I'm not after the aircraft itself but the outline and landing lights. There's no way I can get the image of the aircraft itself.

Can you post examples of what you've done already so we have a better idea ?

... If they could invent a 100-250 f2.8 with a doubler already on it (switch on or off), that would be just fantastic! :D
Ah, but they have (or close). Have you considered Sigma's 200-500/2.8 that includes a matched 2x teleconverter for 400-1000/5.6? It's the perfect match!
Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8
:1219:
As a side bonus it's your own personal gym as well. :aiwebs_016:

The 300mm f4 with 1.4converter does sound extreemly attractive, but not in budget at this time.
Then my suggestion is wait until it is. There are no shortcuts to clean long glass.

And then the eternal question... Sigma C or tamron? What lens is sharpest at 600mm?

Quick answer both.
Slightly longer answer is that Sigma and Tamron have 2 lenses in this zoom range. The Sigma Sport is the sharpest of the of The Sigma line and for Tamron it is the new G2 version. Haven't seen a head to head with the Sport or G2 to know which is the best though.

The 300mm f4 with 1.4converter does sound extreemly attractive, but not in budget at this time.
Then my suggestion is wait until it is. There are no shortcuts to clean long glass.

Thats my thinking to, I just want to evolve in photography to the next level, I've been stuck to my D7100 and Tamron 16-300 for so long now... IQ and reach is just not good enough! But I don't want to get something new and regret it later...

Quick answer both.
Slightly longer answer is that Sigma and Tamron have 2 lenses in this zoom range. The Sigma Sport is the sharpest of the of The Sigma line and for Tamron it is the new G2 version. Haven't seen a head to head with the Sport or G2 to know which is the best though.[/QUOTE]

I read that the G2 is not that great as the first version? Maybe I read different review.
I know that the first version is really great, but after 550 the quality goes down so much, and that is the part I will use the most.

Sigma S is indeed a lot better then Sigma C, but aargh... the budget!

@astroNikon To reply the Dark forest part:
I just mean when the density of the leaves is to high, the forest is darker and I know with my tamron at F6.3 I'm struggling to get a fast enough image.

After exposureplot I noticed after a year of travelling all my pictures are on a DX:
at 11mm (3%) (this could be a lot higher, but I have to be honest, during a year travel I got to lazy to switch all the time),
16-26mm (50%)
and 300mm (20%) (and wanting more!).
(with a litle bit as wel at 35mm-40mm (6%) and 60mm (4%)).

So I'm trying to find the perfect solution to upgrade my set...
And I don't know if going to FX is an option.

If I stay DX i could get :
Maybe the new tamron 10-24 (gets released later this spring).
and sigma or tamron 150-600 or nikon 200-500

If I go FX:
I would prefer a D800e or D810, because of the high mp and the possibilty to crop to DX size and still keep many pixels.
the tamron 15-30 (or nikon 16-35?)
then I would really prefer a 150-600 lens I believe.

Any toughts on this?

(btw, I'm really enjoying my time on this forum and the active community !)

You can afford Caviar if you are willing to eat Peanut Butter and Jelly for a while. I have that combination for Canon and that is how I did it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back