70-200L f/4 Tripod collar or no?

RyanMTaylor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, real quick question. I just ordered the Canon 70-200L f/4 USM non IS and am going to be using it with my Rebel XS. Do I need a Tripod collar for it or should it be fine just being supported by my Rebel mount? I don't want to damage the mount. Thanks in advance. : )

I can only speak for the Nikon version, but the tripod collar is a must for tripod use. Think about it.... the weight.... "take a load off granny, take a load for free"...... sorry, tangent thought... use the collar.

Yeah, get the collar. The way I see it, if the lens weighs more than the camera (this lens will weigh more than your camera) you need to be using the collar.

I have the Sigma 100-300 f4 and it is a pretty weighty lens ... I use the collar all the time.

Rad. Thanks guys. Another thing.. are there 3rd party collars out there or is there a specific Canon one? I think I'd rather get that.

I have the 70-200 f4 and I bought the third party tripod collar from Hong Kong and have been really happy with it!! It only cost me $20 cdn shipped!

You can get by without it, but over time I think you are better off with it.

Never used a 3rd party collar before... I forgot how much the Canon one was - $150!

Might be worth going 3rd party (not sure how much difference there really is)...

You definitely need the collar, mainly to protect your mount and to better balance the camera and lens on the tripod. Another great reason to use a tripod collar is that it makes it really easy to switch to the vertical shooting position when mounted on the tripod.

When I bought my Sigma 70-200 it came with a collar. The canon one doesn't?

Some do and some don't. I got one with my 100-400mm but not with my 100mm macro. You really need one when shooting macro.

Just to reiderate what everyone else said...yes get the collar. an F/4 lens will not be the easiest lens to use and you are going to want to triopd it reguardless. Never trust modern camera mounts to support weight greater than the camera body.

When I bought my Sigma 70-200 it came with a collar. The canon one doesn't?

I have seen several 70-200s and 80-200s that do not

Never trust modern camera mounts to support weight greater than the camera body.
I agree - if the lens is heavier than the body, you should be using a collar.

edit
Just noticed that I already said the same thing a month ago...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back