70-200mm 2.8 HA..uh no LOL!

The smaller the camera, the better it is! So what point and shoot did he pull out? :)

The smaller the camera, the better it is! So what point and shoot did he pull out? :)

Haha, I'm glad everybody could get a laugh out of this- I sure did! The point and shoot was one of those "new" digital SLR-like ones. It was an Olympus, and it had these very tiny, flat, "interchangable" lenses.

After this story I think I will do more research on the next lens then going to the store and ask.

You want a laugh? Go into a camera shop and ask to see a Nikon F6 (yep I want one bad). Deer in the headlamps stare. "That must be new,I haven't even heard of it yet."

it is a very sad situation.

I am sure i would have walked out long before you did.

We are luck in our area that we do have one very good "real " camera store that employs folks who know what they are doing and don't act in this manner. In fact, they would be walking out the door with that type of behavior.

Sounds like it was a 4/3 camera. These are quite popular since they are small and easily portable. But the SLR isn't dead and cropped sensors aren't the future. I would dare say that this is the best time in HISTORY for the full size SLR. Equipment is cheap (relative) and developing is free and instantaneous. Perfect for a novice or anyone to get their hands dirty.

I think this is a classic case of sexism. I love the comment "you must read a lot of reviews and forums." What was his tone with this comment? My local local camera stores in my town, of which there are 3, are all quite small with limited equipment. There's one a couple towns away that is unbelievible and PACKED floor to ceiling with new and used grear. The people in the small local ones are morons and rude. The bigger one they are great, and all shutterbugs and know their gear. Infact a young woman maybe 22 did come in while I was there and I was worried they'd be rude to her but they weren't they seemed to know her. I'm rambling again. But maybe if you start frequenting this place they might change their tune and get a little more comfortable with you. They do sound like morons though.

In defense of the small camera, look at this:

Ausflug in den Tierpark Hagenbeck - Markus Schwarze - Peoplefotograf

This guy uses a 1Ds mkII and one of those new micro-4/3-cameras, the E-P1. now try guessing which were done with what...

I'm not saying that your story didn't amuse me, but I just wanted to point out that those new small cameras are really capable of doing nice photographs. They even got full manual control, and I believe I saw a test that showed how the image quality of an E-P1 and a 7d was pretty much similar at ISO 3200.

Most reactions

Back