D7K

This is the right time..
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone had any experience shooting with this lens on a D850?

You will be having problem if you use DX format lense on FX camera.

It's not a DX lens...

Ah yes it's FX (ED)....I was thinking it's AF-P

I use the 70-300mm AF-S VR G on my D800e. Works just fine. Today I would go with the AF-P as it is supposed to be a bit faster to focus and a bit sharper and less focusing noise. It's part of my small travel bag so it goes on a lot of trips and always gives me some keepers, the size makes it easy to have on the camera all day long (nice if I had the AF-P as it is even lighter than the VR G).

Note that there is also a DX version of the AF-P lens so be sure to look at the FX version.

On my VR G version I usually stop down to f/8 at 300mm for more sharpness unless I want that nice bokeh at f/5.6, on the AF-P version it is sharp all the way to 300mm at f/5.6. I have had my lens for 7 years and it still works like new.

The only downsides are the manual focus ring feels cheap, so I rarely use it. It's f/5.6 at 240mm and out, these days I just bump up the ISO, but if you need f/2.8 then you need a big lens.

You can find the AF-S VR for very good prices used. About a year after I bought mine they had some very good rebates when this lens was purchased along with a camera, so now you can pick up an VR G for close to $300 used, while the new AF-P is $600. I would go with a new AF-P just because it is so easy to get your money's worth from this lens.

Thanks Dave, It's maybe something I am considering on a part-ex deal for my Sigma ART 50 1.4 as I just really rarely used that lens...

I once owned it with my former D800 for travel because I was too lazy to drag the 70-200 on trips. Loved it. Saved my azz many times with wildlife shots.

Reactions: D7K
Two version are available in the AF-P with VR
AF-P DX 70-300mm f/4.5 - 6.3G ED VR
AF-P 70-300mm f/4.5 -5.6E ED VR (Full Frame) price difference is significant obviously full frame being most expensive but also has the physical switches

Last edited:
This is with the AF-P DX 70-300 VR crop sensor wide open on the long end at maxed out 300mm.
Image 1-7-19 at 2.06 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent lens. It is my understanding that the vrg is just as sharp as the afp. If you’re not heavily into wildlife this is really all the lens you need on the long end. That’s what I love most about having the crop power of 46 MP.

Thanks all; I went ahead with the trade and fired off a few test shots yesterday before completing the deal, First impressions are good, I'll throw one or two up here once I've downloaded them..

By no means is this a super interesting subject, composition or anything really, this was shot just testing the lenses focus capabilities with the D850, GRP Focus; Lens tested nicely, decent contrast as the focus is fast enough for what I will use it for, It'll be nice to have the extra reach to go with the 24-70 2.8..

Shot : D850 - f/5.3 - 240mm - ISO125 - 1/1600

Included the full shot and and a huge crop for reference. Of course the editing here is minimal as these are simply tests..

70-300_Test.jpg

70-300_Test_Crop.jpg

Has anyone had any experience shooting with this lens on a D850?
It doesn't get much love from the pixel peepers but in real world situations, it does just fine.

Yeah, I guess the MP of the D850 with an old lens isn't classed as the best. But, the Sigma 50 1.4 ART, I can count on my hands the number of times I used it, I didn't need it with the 24-70 2.8, this reach is gonna be nice on the travel stuff, and hell, I made a little cash and switched lenses, if I don't like it it'll go on the market .. Budapest a week on Sunday, so intend to try it out!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back