70-300 af-s vs 55-300 af-s

No problem. Isn't that how all forums go? Get the biggest, baddest most expensive thing out there despite it not being the panacea for being a good professional at anything?
Actually, I think it's the way the world goes these days and not just forums ;)

The problem is that in so many cases people that have no experience with photography find these posts and decide that "This is what I *MUST* have!" yet they don't have the experience to use it properly. Hauling a 300mm f/2.8 lens to an air show under bright blue skies, just as an example, is like hunting squirrels with a howitzer, yet I see posts every day where someone is recommending an f/1.8 or f/1.4 lens for landscapes. Great for landscapes at night, but not worth a hoot at any other time.

If I would hunt squirrels with a howitzer if it wasn't impossible to carry up to a tree stand, but because I can't, I'll stick with Barnes' varmint grenade. :confused:

No problem. Isn't that how all forums go? Get the biggest, baddest most expensive thing out there despite it not being the panacea for being a good professional at anything?
Actually, I think it's the way the world goes these days and not just forums ;)

The problem is that in so many cases people that have no experience with photography find these posts and decide that "This is what I *MUST* have!" yet they don't have the experience to use it properly. Hauling a 300mm f/2.8 lens to an air show under bright blue skies, just as an example, is like hunting squirrels with a howitzer, yet I see posts every day where someone is recommending an f/1.8 or f/1.4 lens for landscapes. Great for landscapes at night, but not worth a hoot at any other time.

If I would hunt squirrels with a howitzer if it wasn't impossible to carry up to a tree stand, but because I can't, I'll stick with Barnes' varmint grenade. :confused:

Well it is pretty silly to buy a howitzer if all your going to be hunting is squirrel. On the other hand if your like me and you already own a howitzer and a squirrel just happens across your path.. lol

I originally bought the 55-300vr and found that it was too slow to focus for what I like to shoot. So I returned it and bought a used mint 70-300 VR. The 2 lenses are night and day!

I originally bought the 55-300vr and found that it was too slow to focus for what I like to shoot. So I returned it and bought a used mint 70-300 VR. The 2 lenses are night and day!

I had the 70-300 mm VR and it is a fantastic lens. I ended up selling mine, since I got the 70-200 mm F/2.8 it really wasn't seeing much use - but for lightweight telephoto in good lighting it really is the best in it's class, hands down.

I think I'll be going with the 70-300. Sounds like It wil be a good lens for what I need. Than I'll probably pik up the prime I've been wanting.

I think I'll be going with the 70-300. Sounds like It wil be a good lens for what I need. Than I'll probably pik up the prime I've been wanting.

Well I'm not sure about the best buy link you posted originally but make sure you get the VR version. It is leaps amd bounds better than the older non VR one.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Well I'm not sure about the best buy link you posted originally but make sure you get the VR version. It is leaps amd bounds better than the older non VR one.

Ill definitely be getting the VR version. Just debating if I want a brand new one or used.

Ill definitely be getting the VR version. Just debating if I want a brand new one or used.

I would check keh and go used, they are very reputable, have great customer service and I've never had any problems buying used from them. The stuff they rated as Ex condition looked brand new to me so they are apparently very picky about there ratings.

I'd buy used. I've never bought any photo gear new and never regretted that choice. You can save a ton of money. I agree with buying from KEH. Even their bgn rated stuff is in amazing shape. I got a lens a while back with a bgn rating and all it had was a scuff on the barrel.

I'd buy used. I've never bought any photo gear new and never regretted that choice. You can save a ton of money. I agree with buying from KEH. Even their bgn rated stuff is in amazing shape. I got a lens a while back with a bgn rating and all it had was a scuff on the barrel.

I definitely agree with the used option. It saved me hundreds of dollars for a like-new lens. If you're able to find one at a local camera store, even better. This way you can get your hands on it and attach it to a similar body that you own.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes indeed. I cant wait to go to the airshow on the 29th but, I'm sure ill be out finding something to take pics of before then

Fast aperture lenses were a necessity for shooting sports back when the fastest ISO you could find was 400. That was the only way to get a faster shutter speed. With today's digital cameras and their greater high ISO capability, the only use I find for wide aperture lenses is extreme low light and when looking for shallow DOF. Things have evolved since I started in photography in 1977, but many of the old habits of that era seem to have been passed down without much understanding as to why they were used back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back