70-300mm VR, how do you guys feel about this lens?

First of all let me ask .... do you own the 70-200mm ? If not and your looking for a just a really nice telephoto lens ...this one is great .... it's slow if you plan on using it indoors for sure ...but I do use if both in and out .... depends on the camera ... lots of options ...I had the 55-200mm and traded for the 70-300mm for more reach when shooting sports ...I love it and it's a nice sharp lens and plenty fast enough ....

Guys, it seems a little silly to just summarily say "Go buy a $2500 lens" or even "Go buy a $1000 lens" when they are looking at a $500 one, esp. without knowing their budget restrictions.

Akin to someone asking "Hey what do you think of the Volkswagen Golf?" and everyone saying "The Golf sucks. Buy a Porsche!"

My recommendation would be to answer the core question itself... ignoring all other lenses, what do you think of this lens itself?

I've heard from some people saying this lens is a great

Guys, it seems a little silly to just summarily say "Go buy a $2500 lens" or even "Go buy a $1000 lens" when they are looking at a $500 one, esp. without knowing their budget restrictions.

Akin to someone asking "Hey what do you think of the Volkswagen Golf?" and everyone saying "The Golf sucks. Buy a Porsche!"

My recommendation would be to answer the core question itself... ignoring all other lenses, what do you think of this lens itself?

I've heard from some people saying this lens is a great

Seems we actually agree on this one manaheim, that was exactly what I was thinking! haha. The 70-300 VR is great for the price! It can't really be compared to a Pro fast zoom.

Yep agree with the 2 posters above. And always see this in forums.

But from personally experience found each has it's positives and negatives. And irrelevant if they exceed the Budget.

My main walkabout it the 55-200vr and find it to be the best bang for under $200 there is. Light,compact and less intrusive but outstanding optically for the price tho variable slower f-stop and build are it's negatives. And on any given day covers 80%-90% of shooting needs and style for me. With a tad few times wanting for longer reach.

My main goto lens for events,sports or wildlife type out and abouts is the 70-300vr. Great VR and Optically a great performer in the under $500 range of a AF,VR lens. It's heavier being an FX/DX lens and build is a giant step up from the 55-200vr. Picked mine up used for $325 minty fresh.

The 55-300vr is equal to the 70-300vr optically. But AF is a smidg'in or a tad bit slower than the 70-300vr and hunts more in problematic lighting. Also negatives is Plastic build tho has a metal mount and Dx only lens. But for me optimal AF speed is a must for action,sports and wildlife and the 70-300vr gets the nod here.

Yep agree with the 2 posters above. And always see this in forums.

But from personally experience found each has it's positives and negatives. And irrelevant if they exceed the Budget.

My main walkabout it the 55-200vr and find it to be the best bang for under $200 there is. Light,compact and less intrusive but outstanding optically for the price tho variable slower f-stop and build are it's negatives. And on any given day covers 80%-90% of shooting needs and style for me. With a tad few times wanting for longer reach.

My main goto lens for events,sports or wildlife type out and abouts is the 70-300vr. Great VR and Optically a great performer in the under $500 range of a AF,VR lens. It's heavier being an FX/DX lens and build is a giant step up from the 55-200vr. Picked mine up used for $325 minty fresh.

The 55-300vr is equal to the 70-300vr optically. But AF is a smidg'in or a tad bit slower than the 70-300vr and hunts more in problematic lighting. Also negatives is Plastic build tho has a metal mount and Dx only lens. But for me optimal AF speed is a must for action,sports and wildlife and the 70-300vr gets the nod here.

Thank god for that, I thought I was the only person on this forum who loved my 70-300 VR for a moment there! It really is a cracker for the money, I love the build quality of this lens. Only drawback as mentioned is the fact it's slow!

Most reactions

Back