70D vs D7100

DXO does not compare camera features, like focus modules, metering sensors, bracketing capabilities, available white balance settings, burst rate, viewfinder coverage, and lots lots more.

One also has to factor in that photographer skill and knowledge is the main contributing factor to image quality.
So a long time pro can probably make much nicer images with a 70D or a A77 than a newbie can make with a D7100.

Next factor in the quality of whatever lens is being used. Camera Lens Quality: MTF, Resolution & Contrast

No doubt the numbers form a basis for image sensor comparisons, but a camera is made up of a lot more than just an image sensor, and high quality images are about more than just the camera and lens used.

Go FX, if you can. Consider a refurbished D600 or a used D700, at least.
But if you must pick between the D7100 or the Canon.
Get the Nikon. It can use Nikon glass!!!

DXO does not compare camera features, like focus modules, metering sensors, bracketing capabilities, available white balance settings, burst rate, viewfinder coverage, and lots lots more.

One also has to factor in that photographer skill and knowledge is the main contributing factor to image quality.
So a long time pro can probably make much nicer images with a 70D or a A77 than a newbie can make with a D7100.

Next factor in the quality of whatever lens is being used. Camera Lens Quality: MTF, Resolution & Contrast

No doubt the numbers form a basis for image sensor comparisons, but a camera is made up of a lot more than just an image sensor, and high quality images are about more than just the camera and lens used.

I agree. It is like saying 6 Cyl Chevy Camero is better car than a Lotus Elise with the Toyota Celica 4 Cyl engine at the track.

Go FX, if you can. Consider a refurbished D600 or a used D700, at least.
But if you must pick between the D7100 or the Canon.
Get the Nikon. It can use Nikon glass!!!

Well this is just a little piece of information I found and wanted to share, I don't need to buy a camera, I just did about a month ago.
Got the D7100 if you see my signature its showing there.

As for FX, well its my dream but not now, cant afford it but when the replacement of the D600 will be out I think I will get it.
For now I am very happy with my new D7100

However.. The 70D is closer to the 7Dmk2 then the D7100 is to the D400.

The reviews are still trickling in on the 70D... but all signs point to the 70D having twice the buffer the D7100 has.

I'd still buy the Nikon though. I cant stand the feel of Canon's cheep plastic bodies :)

However.. The 70D is closer to the 7Dmk2 then the D7100 is to the D400.

The reviews are still trickling in on the 70D... but all signs point to the 70D having twice the buffer the D7100 has.

I'd still buy the Nikon though. I cant stand the feel of Canon's cheep plastic bodies :)

Yes, the buffer size on my D7100 is so small that it would be useless for serious sport photography but the D7100 is not a D300s replacement its the camera for the photography enthusiast and I think it does this job with flying colours.
For me when I need to use the camera on burst mode taking action shots of my daughter doing her tricks at home or even taking pictures of a squirrel running and jumping in the back yard the D7100 buffer size is more then enough.
I think the Nikon fan market is VERY thirsty for a D300s replacement, will be very interesting to see this camera when it shows up if it shows up.

I shoot High School sports with the D7100 :) . Its the best low-light DX body right now... so i'll work around the buffer.

I shoot High School sports with the D7100 :) . Its the best low-light DX body right now... so i'll work around the buffer.
Well you can shoot in the 1.3 mode and JPEG, that will help a lot in burst mode.

DxO mark tests. Exhaustive tests, done in a state of the art lab, and conducted and re-conducted multiple times, to ensure accuracy and repeatability.

Here is an article written by physicist Peter van den Hamer in 2011 and published by The Luminous Landscape in 20011 DxOMark Camera Sensor

A second article appeared not too long ago. DxOMark Camera Sensor

As the author notes, the new, updated article was needed in part because of substantial changes in the sensor market. "...you can get “yesterday’s” full-frame sensor quality using a modern APS-C size sensor[3]. Alternatively, you can get yesterday’s APS-C sensor performance using the best available CX format sensor[4]. In fact, you can probably match or even exceed today’s entry-level medium-format image quality with a modern full-frame sensor (e.g. the Nikon D800E). This is not just the standard story of electronics getting a bit cheaper or better every year. It is largely due to a jump in sensor performance in the past 2 or 3 years (largely thanks to Sony sensors). It also coincides with competition on the camera market from mobile phones. This causes traditional camera makers to focus on image quality: unless your camera is a lot better than a multi-purpose smartphone, how can you convince smartphone users to carry around an extra camera when their smartphone is always at hand?"

The whole point of the 70d new sensor is live view and movie autofocusing.

...which dxo mark does not test.

The whole point of the 70d new sensor is live view and movie autofocusing.

...which dxo mark does not test.

Yeah, but it obviously comes up short against the competition in still imaging tests. I thought the 70D was also supposed to be a still camera as well.***Silly me, thinking that a d-slr would be used for still image making! Do you suppose the manual tells users "the whole point" of your new 70D is only to shoot video." You make me laugh sometimes, Jinksy!

Yeah, Canon added some new photodiode sites to allow "real-time" autofocusing during the filming of video clips. That does sound like it might be a handy feature. And the touch-screen with the ability to shift autofocus during filming also sounds like a nifty feature. I still think however that the MAIN purpose of advanced hobbyist d-slr cameras is their use for capturing still photos. I'd estimate that 99% of a d-slr's actual in-use time is devoted to capturing stills. At least for most people. After puking out five different but yet almost identical APS-C cameras based on the same level of sensor, it became necessary for Canon to actually try and do a bit of innovating, and I think the new full time autofocusing system might capture some sales. That new system might also help spark sales of their STM lenses. But

I said the whole point of the new sensor is live view and movie focusing.

I don't think it's terribly surprising that the still photo qualities match or very slightly exceed the previous generation of canon APS-C in the mean time. it would have been nice if it exceeded by more, but even maintaining quality while having to synthesize data from all the additional sensor locations, etc. is no mean feat.

More importantly: Ultimately, I think that quality live view focusing will have a lot Lot LOT more to do with the future of camera bodies than an extra stop of dynamic range will. Better live view focusing = the ability to switch to mirrorless technology for good, which can greatly decrease cost and increase quality of wide lenses and make cheaper, simpler, less breakable, more portable bodies with no drawbacks.

it's not just for video by any means, in the long run. This is one step in a potentially very exciting revolution for still photography. it's just a step along a not 100% obvious back road.

It may be an awkward camera right now, and I'm not sure I'd buy it, but the technology is pretty exciting.

It has the AutoFocus sensor from the 7D..

It has a newer 20mp image sensor..

It has a higher FPS and larger buffer then the D7100..

Even without the fancy live view focusing trickery it still has a lot going for it.

Still wouldn't buy one :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back