75-300mm lens focus issue

GBfromDevizes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello and thanks for looking at my question

Three months ago I puchased a new 650D with a standard 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm tele lens. All has been fine until today. The zoom lens , when aimed at the subject, will not focus. Even on subjects of high contrast, e.g, a red house against a blue sky, when I press the shutter halfway for AF lock, the lens will not focus, but just whirrs whilst it tries to focus. The shutter will not fully depress, which I guess is to avoid taking a blurred shot. Even if I come down to say 200mm and try to focus, the lens won't have it. I've tried the standard 18-55mm lens and there are no issues. I've had a couple of error messages when using the zoom lens, along the lines of " the contacts between camera and lens are dirty, please clean" which I have done with alcohol and a lint free cloth, but it makes no difference, the lens still won't focus.

It worked perfectly until earlier today. I would just say that the lens is switched to AF rather than manual. I've tried it with a fully charged battery, makes no difference

Can anyone shed any ideas as to why this is happening?
Many thanks

Most reactions

ClickASnap