77mm filter size the way to go?

Remi M.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My primary lens is a 18-70 nikkor. The filter size is 67mm. The only filters I have now are a tiffen UV and a HAMA circular polarizer. I want to get ND and IR filters. But I'm also thinking about any lense I may want to buy in the future. (If I get the nerve for it, I'l spring for the f2.8 70-200 VR).
It seems that the common size is 77mm for the "pro" lenses.

So... I'm thinking of buying filters in the 77mm size and a step down ring (77mm to 67mm) so I can use them on my current lens. The only drawback I could see is that I would not be able to use the lens hood with the larger filter.

Should I go for it?

that's a smart idea in quite a few situations. however, if you use lenses that tend to have bad flare it might be better to use the hood. I'd go ahead and buy the 77mm and step down ring if you KNOW you'll buy lenses in the future that can use it. you can't buy a step up ring I don't think...

Generally, I think most people buy filters to fit their largest diameter lens and then use step up rings to use larger filters on smaller lenses. The problem with going the other direction is the obvious vignetting that occurs if you have say a 62mm filter on a 77mm lens. All of my filters were bought to fit my 62mm lens which was the largest one I had....until I recently bought a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 lens which is 77mm. Now I have only a uv filter for it for protection. I cant really use a step ring for the vignetting, but probably the only other filter I use regularly is a c-polarizer anyway.

So, I'd say get filters for the largest (or anticipated largest) lens and use step rings for the smaller lenses. I'd also get another lens hood in your case.

So I just got into the SLR game and im starting to look at getting some filters over the summer. I plan on getting the tokina 12-24 which is a 77mm in the future, and all my other potentials are smaller ring size than that..... Is there any other negative side effects by using adapter rings besides not being able to use the hood??

Given the insane cost of the 70-200 f/2.8 is it too much to spend an extra $100 on some decent filters?

Also think of the use for the filters. ND and IR filters will rarely be used on a 200mm lens.

Plus you can always ebay the old filters to recoup your losses and in my experience I recover about half the price, so the cost of a filter is really nothing compared to the cost of a lens.

Infact if you follow theses suggestions and get an extra hood too (which will be a must given how filters contribute to flare) the savings really start to look very very small.

Given the insane cost of the 70-200 f/2.8 is it too much to spend an extra $100 on some decent filters?

Also think of the use for the filters. ND and IR filters will rarely be used on a 200mm lens.

Plus you can always ebay the old filters to recoup your losses and in my experience I recover about half the price, so the cost of a filter is really nothing compared to the cost of a lens.

Infact if you follow theses suggestions and get an extra hood too (which will be a must given how filters contribute to flare) the savings really start to look very very small.

:lol::lol::lol:
Garbz , your always a voice of reason in a sea of insanity!

Most reactions

Back