$8,000 to spend? What would you get?

My sister drives a WRX, child seat and all.

My sister drives a WRX, child seat and all.

I drive a Porsche 928 and a Trans Am WS6 in the summer time with 3 kids at home. Once upon a time they had car seats in them... However I could afford BOTH sets of toys (camera and cars) so I didn't have to make a choice!

$8,000 to blow....hmmmm...ya know, I bet I could get one $5 Subway sandwich a day for the next four years and four months!!!! SWEET ONION SAUCE FTW!!!

TPF - Home of the lecture,moral evaluation and poor reading comprehension.

Bring it :p

That said, if you're just a hobbyist, you don't need a D800.

And why is that? What features of the D800 would one of us lowly amateurs not benefit from?

The fact that it's effing expensive. I can't imagine spending that much money on something that isn't for a career. But that's just me. I'm so cheap I don't even have a converter box for my old clunker of a TV.

And why is that? What features of the D800 would one of us lowly amateurs not benefit from?

The fact that it's effing expensive. I can't imagine spending that much money on something that isn't for a career. But that's just me. I'm so cheap I don't even have a converter box for my old clunker of a TV.

Very true, we all have our own limits on how much we can justify spending on our own entertainment (as well as other things we spend upon). My view, however, is also consider not just the cost but the time; a lens that costs a few $/£1000 might well be very very expensive. But if you use it often and you treat it right it should last you 10-20 years of good use (lenses advance slowly, even new ones don't always make a night and day difference over old models, esp at the pro end of the market). So sometimes its not that much when you break it up into costs over the duration of use :)

Very true, we all have our own limits on how much we can justify spending on our own entertainment (as well as other things we spend upon).

I could easily write a shopping list for GBP100K/USD150K of stills/motion gear and ancillary kit.
As an amateur. :D But I wouldn't remain an amateur for long afterwards.

It's only expensive if you can't afford it.

Very true, we all have our own limits on how much we can justify spending on our own entertainment (as well as other things we spend upon).

I could easily write a shopping list for GBP100K/USD150K of stills/motion gear and ancillary kit.
As an amateur. :D But I wouldn't remain an amateur for long afterwards.

Provided my wife's education is paid for and our son's nest egg is funded, I'd have no problem whatsoever spending $150k on gear before luxury cars or big houses. Not one bit. My three priorities are my wife's education, my son's future and photography, at the moment - in that order. A bigger house or fancier car isn't going to make my life any better. Maybe for others it would, but this just isn't what motivates us.

One of my friends asked me how I could, "afford to keep buying those five thousand dollar Nikons?" and I looked at him and said, "Do you see the CAR I drive?" (It was a modest Chrysler sedan at that time.) I followeD up with, "How much did you spend on that truck sitting in the driveway?" His answer was ,"Twenty-seven five, plus a little more for tires and wheels." ($27,500 + 3,000)

"Well, there's you answer," I said.

"Huh...." he nodded slowly, "huh."

Everything in life is a matter of priorities. I've long driven very modest used cars that I payed for, up front, entirely in cash. I've NEVER, ever had a car payment in my life. When you find a motivated seller, big stacks of $20 bills make the asking price go wayyyyyyyyyy down. Psychologically, a few thousand dollars in twenties looks like a fortune to a seller in need.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back