e.rose

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.emilymcgonigle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So quick question...

There are certain filters in PS that you can't use unless your image is in 8-bit.

If I were to convert a 16-bit image, to an 8-bit image so that I could use the filter, and then convert it BACK to a 16-bit image once I'm done.........................

Is that going to make a really huge difference in photo quality by the end of it?

SPANKS! :biggrin:

If im not mistaken, you cant save a file to JPEG with 16 bit?

No. When you convert to 8-bit, it removes tonal channel data to make it fit into the 8-bit palette. When you convert back to 16-bit it spreads the 8-bit data over the the 16-bit palette.

If you are running a filter that only affects color, you can apply the original 16-bit version to the back-converted 16-bit version in luminance mode, and retain 16-bit luminance, but not hue nor saturation. However, in RGB mode the three are interconnected. What this would mean exactly for the image I am not sure.

You could likewise apply the original in saturation, color or hue modes. But I have a feeling you wouldn't see a lot of benefit.

Many Photoshop tools are 8-bit only tools because the amount of math they would have to do using 16-bits is prohibitive.

Do all your 16-bit edits before converting the bit depth to 8-bits to use the 8-bit tools.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back