80-400VR for sports.

Mack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was wondering about everyones opinion on this lens for cricket photography, I use a 70-300G nikkor lens which is the same f/spot range and I don't have the equipment to shoot bursts and I just take single shots and work on my timing :lmao:. I just want a very sharp lens with good contrast. I read a review saying that the AF was slow, it wouldnt be slower than the 70-300G nikkor would it? I can deal with the 70-300G nikkor autofocus speed and just wanted alot better image quality and zoom!

I use a D50, thanks. oh btw, cricket in australia is always in very good light..

the 80-400 VR is a great lens...but not for sports. I believe it's the slowest focusing AF Nikkor. When people say it's slow, they aren't kidding. I dont' know why, but Nikon actually geared it to be slow.

ugh... slow AF is a killer... damn, I really wanted a sharp 400mm but didnt wanna fork out ten of thousands!

Yes, it is a little slower than say the 70-200vr but not as bad as many people say. Still, it would be marginal for fast action sports. That being said I like the lens a lot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back