85mm f/1.2L USM

ItsDaveTime

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to purchase a new prime 85mm lens and am interested in the 85mm f/1.2L II USM. I shoot mostly outdoor client/family portraits and do some engagement shoots, so mostly I use prime lenses. I don't want to mess with Sigma/Tamron, since I've had issues with their build quality in the past. I currently use the Canon 50mm f/1.2L and 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM on my 5D Mark III and 5D Mark II. The question I have is about flare and ghosting at the edge of the lens. Many of my shoots are done during the magic hour, so some sun flare is necessary, but from some reviews, it seems it's a bit excessive on the edges.

Can anyone comment on their experience with the lens?

Thanks

-Dave

I've noticed with damn near every lens that if you shoot it at it's limits, max aperture/focal length, is where you get the issues. That being said I've heard that the 1.2 is very good wide open with minimal issues.

My question is why spend so much on the 1.2 when the 1.8 is a fraction of the price and damn near as good.

I've noticed with damn near every lens that if you shoot it at it's limits, max aperture/focal length, is where you get the issues. That being said I've heard that the 1.2 is very good wide open with minimal issues.

My question is why spend so much on the 1.2 when the 1.8 is a fraction of the price and damn near as good.

I like the lower aperture for the occasional indoor shots and for when the sun is just about gone, I can get a great silhouette without the entire background being dark. Also from what I've read, the focusing on the f/1.2 is faster than the 1.8.

Not what you asked but any comparison I have seen puts the f1.8 ahead of the 1.2 when it comes to focus speed.

To be honest if you can afford the 1.2 go for it. But if money is an issue I'd skip it. There are difference between the two but honestly the differences are not worth the $1800 price difference.

Heck if it were me I'd get the 1.8 85mm and the 135mm f/2.0. That way you'd have a great portrait kit and still not spend as much as you would for just one lens.

From what I gather, the 85mm F1.2 L, is almost a specialty lens...that specialty being very, very thin DOF. Most people who own it, tend to be the bokeh junkie type (or maybe L lens junkies).

As many are saying here, it's fairly hard to justify the price of the F1.2 because the F1.8 is a very solid lens for 1/6 the price.

I have both and I love both. The 1.2 has quite the learning curve and can be difficult to get focus without going manual, but when you hit it wowzers! It is really a great lens, and I would never give it up. The 1.8 is much easier to get focus, and gives nice results as well. The 1.2 is pretty heavy compared to the 1.8. As far as flare? User error or purposefully doing so would be my guess. The 1.2 is a delicious lens. Maybe try going used?

^^^^ +1
I also own both the 85 1.8 and the 85 1.2. The 1.8 is an important part of my sports kit that is really good for portraiture. The 1.2 on the other hand is one of my go to portrait lenses. As mentioned, it is a bit of a specialty lens with a learning curve, but the quality of the shots you can produce with it is absolutely amazing.

^^^^ +1 I also own both the 85 1.8 and the 85 1.2. The 1.8 is an important part of my sports kit that is really good for portraiture. The 1.2 on the other hand is one of my go to portrait lenses. As mentioned, it is a bit of a specialty lens with a learning curve, but the quality of the shots you can produce with it is absolutely amazing.

$1800 amazing? ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back