85mm vs 50mm

Used to own 85mm and50mm back when I had the D7100, the 85mm got very little use, its too tight on crop sensor for general use but was good for cases I needed fast moderate tele lens.

Over all on DX its not a good general use lens, not sure how it is on FX as I don't own it anymore but I do want to get it sooner or later again.

yes, longer focal lengths are going to be better for portrait "tight head shots" but whether it's suitable as a "general" lens depends on the usage
(100mm on a Canon 60D)

15549668478_ee22bfff8f_b.jpg

This is the other thing. I guess I can still pull off head shots with a 50 if I back up and crop in. I have enough megapixels for that. What's the distance for a 50 to mitigate distortion? Is it 2 meters from subject?

I have been taking the 85mm to basketball games because it's a 1.8. It is staying home next game, I'm done being frustrated with the frame tightness. Bringing my 35 1.8 and then try to figure it out. Basketball is very hard for me to shoot. I don't think the game is meant to be photographed from the side, almost a waste of time really.

This is the other thing. I guess I can still pull off head shots with a 50 if I back up and crop in. I have enough megapixels for that. What's the distance for a 50 to mitigate distortion? Is it 2 meters from subject?

Its about the compression not the distortion.

Its about the compression not the distortion.

Yes,

I've heard this, but I've also seen samples where a 50 and 135 were shot from the same distance with the 50 cropped in to look like the 135. The "compression" occurs but without the same dof. I ask because I wanted to see if I could get away with doing this, but I'm picking up a Nikon 105 2.5 anyway-- was just curious.

I've heard this, but I've also seen samples where a 50 and 135 were shot from the same distance with the 50 cropped in to look like the 135.
it will never look like the 135mm, even when cropped, because of the extra magnification of the blurred background on the 135mm.

this does a good job showing it when you see the comparisons of a 85mm 1.4 on a FX vs. a 58mm 1.4 on a DX: full-frame vs crop-sensor comparison

and this does a good job showing why one picks a 85mm over a 50mm: 50 vs 85mm prime lens, why choose one over the other? - Quora

I've heard this, but I've also seen samples where a 50 and 135 were shot from the same distance with the 50 cropped in to look like the 135.
it will never look like the 135mm, even when cropped, because of the extra magnification of the blurred background on the 135mm.

this does a good job showing it when you see the comparisons of a 85mm 1.4 on a FX vs. a 58mm 1.4 on a DX: full-frame vs crop-sensor comparison

and this does a good job showing why one picks a 85mm over a 50mm: 50 vs 85mm prime lens, why choose one over the other? - Quora

Thanks, man.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

sure you could have.
you just would have added some sexy innuendo

sure you could have.
you just would have added some sexy innuendo

85mm is the reverse cowgirl of the photography world. 135mm is when she brings home her best friend.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back