85mm

anagoesch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please, I need some help to choose which one of those would be the best Razor SHARP for my d7000, outside family and kids portraits
I have a 50mm 1.8 but looking for an upgrade

Nikon 85 mm 1.8 D AF
Nikon 85mm f 3.5 G AFs
Nikon 16-85 mm f 3.5 G AFs

Thanks in advance everyone!

tamron 17-50mm 2.8

it is razor sharp on mine :p

Thank you!I'll check it out...

I would go with the 85 1.8 AF-D model as a field telephoto/portrait lens...that's what it is optimized for.

Thank you for the advice.
85mm 1.8 d the sharpest from those three.

The 85mm 1.8D for sure, without blinking an eye. You'll get a lot of use out of it.

Thank you

I guess I am not confused anymore!!!

This forum is so helpful...

I appreciate all the information given

Have a great day everyone

To follow up on this thread, I just got the 50mm f/1.8 for a gift with the thought that I could use it for indoor/outdoor portraits. I also own the Tokina 100m f/2.8 macro which also is good for outdoor portraits.

My question is this -- there does not seem to be a significant amount of difference between a 50mm prime and an 85mm prime. Why choose one over the other?

Also, why pay almost 2x as much for the 50mm f/1.4 versus the 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor?

Thanks!

^^ Dude, the 50mm was never in question since the OP already owns one.

OP, I can vouch for the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 as well. Very sharp lens.

To follow up on this thread, I just got the 50mm f/1.8 for a gift with the thought that I could use it for indoor/outdoor portraits. I also own the Tokina 100m f/2.8 macro which also is good for outdoor portraits.

My question is this -- there does not seem to be a significant amount of difference between a 50mm prime and an 85mm prime. Why choose one over the other?

Also, why pay almost 2x as much for the 50mm f/1.4 versus the 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor?

Thanks!

It all comes down to preference and practicality. I think the 85mm length is just a little better for candids, head/shoulder shots, and indoor sports. The things I would use a 50mm for.

I would pay twice as much for a Sigma 50 over the F1.8G or maybe not. I wouldn't consider the other choices now.

^^ Dude, the 50mm was never in question since the OP already owns one.

OP, I can vouch for the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 as well. Very sharp lens.

You do appear to be in a state of confusion. I understood the OP's question and was asking for myself about why one would want the 85mm over the 50mm. Did you read my post?

Thanks!

I own an 85mm f/1.4 and it is an outstanding lens for any kind of portraiture. It renders bokeh beautifully and provides excellent background control on a full frame camera. I also have a 50mm f/1.4, which I chose over the 50mm f/1.8 (Canon) for the extra stops, as well as the better build quality/manual focus override. The 50mm f/1.8 does not produce pleasing bokeh, but the 50mm f/1.4 does.

Thanks!

I own an 85mm f/1.4 and it is an outstanding lens for any kind of portraiture. It renders bokeh beautifully and provides excellent background control on a full frame camera. I also have a 50mm f/1.4, which I chose over the 50mm f/1.8 (Canon) for the extra stops, as well as the better build quality/manual focus override. The 50mm f/1.8 does not produce pleasing bokeh, but the 50mm f/1.4 does.

From Ken Rockwell's website on his review of the 50mm f/1.8:

"Bokeh, the character of out of focus backgrounds, not simply how far out of focus they are, is great. Out-of-focus backgrounds are always soft and never distract."

Thank you very much! I just want something better than 50 1.8 but also no more expensive than $600. It seems like that would be the best upgrade choice for me. About the 50 mm questions....I am not sure to be honest

Thanks!

From Ken Rockwell's website on his review of the 50mm f/1.8:

"Bokeh, the character of out of focus backgrounds, not simply how far out of focus they are, is great. Out-of-focus backgrounds are always soft and never distract."

Ken Rockwell is mostly a blowhard. But he knows more about Nikon than I do. I was referring to the Canon lens, as I cannot speak for anything Nikon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back