8th Grade BasketBall C&C Welcome

CMfromIL

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Changed my WB a bit based on some earlier feedback, and got the orange glow removed from my shots this time. Still shooting at 1/500 ISO 6400 and the f-stop at 4.5.

Home team is white. And we lost this game.

#1 Stolen Ball
IMG_4396.jpg

#2 Triple coverage. Not a particularly 'good' shot, but I did find the 3 different levels of the white players visually interesting.
IMG_4367.jpg

#3 Driving to the basket
IMG_4297.jpg

#4 Taking the ball back down court (my neighbors boy)
IMG_4274.jpg

#5 Racing for the ball (crop was on left side, I missed the blue players arm past the elbow. It was a hurried shot)
IMG_4344.jpg

#6 Trying to steal
IMG_4343.jpg

WB looks better than it did when it was orange, so... good job there.

Still way toooo much noise for me. You should try to shoot around 1/200 as a shutter speed. This will still stop motion and you should be able to shoot at a lower ISO setting to reduce noise.

Thanks for the comments. I did take a couple of shots on 1/200, not pleased with the motion blur. I need a better lens with a lower f-stop. I'll have to live with the grain for now.

ISO 3200 1/200 f/4.5

IMG_4416.jpg

Ok, to be blunt, you brought a knife to a gun fight. 4.5 will never work in poorly lighted gyms. You need fast glass. 2.8 or faster,

Ok, to be blunt, you brought a knife to a gun fight. 4.5 will never work in poorly lighted gyms. You need fast glass. 2.8 or faster,

You pull up a month old post.. to merely restate what the OP said in the post above? :) Bored?

Great shots. I'm sure the lighting wasn't all that great, but you seemed to have pulled out some keepers.

I was about to post this same thing. The noise kills the photos. A 2.8 lens would help bring down your ISO and have a decent shutter speed to work with. f/4.5 is just way too slow to be working with for indoor basketball.

Putting the noise to one side (sometimes we just have to make do with what we have ... we can still have fun and still capture moments that no-one else can)
I think #5 and #6 are the standouts here (then maybe #4) - they both show the endeavour of the human spirit, the determination to succeed and engage in battle. #5 does seem to have an odd crop though - would love to see bit more on the right (but I'm guessing you had a good reason not to do that).
For me #2 is a puzzle - there is no ball visible, no faces visible and as such does not tell a story like the others do.
#1 would be sooooo much better with the distracting player on the right ... but that's one of the joys and challenges in sports photography. Sometimes everything just comes together at a fraction of a moment and you have a winner and at other times you have the shot of century ... until the ref runs in front of you!!!!
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Ace for the kind words.

The only reason I posted #2 was the interesting look of the 3 white players covering the blue player (who has the ball, but it's hidden). I liked the look of 1 player on the ground, 1 player mid jump, and 1 player at the apex of his jump.

The crop on #5 came from the left of the picture. It was a hurried shot, and I didn't frame it perfectly, leaving the impression I cropped out the arm of the blue player. I had cropped out dead space on the left of the white player.

#4 was recently published in the local sports section of the paper (online version) so I was pretty excited about that. No $$, but I did get my name in the paper!

I just went back and had a look at your titles ... my mistake for not reading. Sorry to waste your time reiterating what you already said.

On the hurried shot - yeah don't you just hate that. So many "if only" situations. But that, to me, is the magic of sports photography we are presented with a series of unique moments in time that we can not "set up" again. Sometimes we capture some of those magical moments, sometimes we miss them (damn referees getting in the way are just the "right" moment). I think that is what I like the most about sports photography - I am like a little kid at Christmas ... can't wait to get home and see what I might have got!!! Sunshine, wind, standing in the rain for hours ... it doesn't matter because you never know when that one special moment will present itself before your lens. Enjoy the journey no matter what moments you are offered.

but that's one of the joys and challenges in sports photography. Sometimes everything just comes together at a fraction of a moment and you have a winner and at other times you have the shot of century ... until the ref runs in front of you!!!!
Thanks for sharing.

LOL, Amen about the refs!

Most reactions

Back