9/11

Chase

I am now benign!
Reaction score
Website
www.thephotoforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another forum I visit brought up the topic of "where were you on 9/11" and I thought it was sort of interesting...so...where were you?

I was actually getting ready for work and had a few minutes before I needed to leave, so I logged into one of my Instant Messenger programs. A friend popped open a window asking me if I had seen the news yet (he was in eastern timezone). I told him no and all he said was that I needed to turn it on. As soon as the image appeared, it was a replay of the first plane striking the tower.

I ended up deciding to go to work and I was sitting in the parking lot, waiting for the manager to arrive and open the building. A woman was walking through the lot (this is something like 6:30am) and walked over to my car, which would have normally been an odd thing. She asked me if anything new had come out on the news that I was listening to and we ended up talking and listening to the news in the parking lot for 15-20 minutes before my manager arrived.

The rest of the day we spent sitting in front of a TV in the back office at my work. It was a retail computer store and needless to say it was empty most of the day.

i was in Chicago, in bed asleep til noon .. my mom called me and woke me up .. i couldnt beleive it, thought it was a joke ... glued to the tv all day ... there was much fear in Chicago

now we're in NYC and it seems business as usual ... that's one thing i can say about these New Yorkans (im not one yet :p ) ... they bounce back fast, i dont know if thats a good thing or bad :? ... all i can say is, "I hope the past is behind us." :shock:

Mine expirence was weird i think. Back then i would stay up to all ungodly hours of the morning (night job). So i went to bed at like 4 o'clock pacific time. For some reason i left my radio on the Howard Stern show, they brodcast his NY signal to Portland. I wasn't sleeping well that morning, for some reason i heard Howard Stern screaming and being more rowdy then usual, so i was tossing and turning. I stayed in that almost awake, but still unconscious state all morning. I thought i heard Stern playing some game about airplanes, i heard something like thousands of people dead, In my sleepy state i just thought he was ranting again (like usual).
Then the last thing i remember was Howard saying that Rudoph Guiliani wanted to make a statement and do an interview on his show that morning. Even in my slumber i knew this was just too strange, (The mayor HATES the Stern show). So i rolled over, and more awake then asleep now i listened to the mayor tell everyone to remain calm, and to stay in your homes. At this point i was thinking, "what the hell?" Howard went all out on this prank.
My phone started ringing, i ignored it thinking what a lousy night i was having, it kept ringing until i finally stumbled over to pick it up, it was my girlfriend telling me that someone crashed a plane into the WTC, I responded still groggy, "Why are you calling me about some dipshit who crashed his Cessna into a building?" As i said that everything i heard came back to me, my girlfriend was prolly apalled because she hadn't resonded yet, i said wait i think i heard on the radio about this, its a big plane isn't it? She said i should turn on the news.
As i walked into the living room she was telling me something about terrorists, and the biggest death toll ever, or something i don't remember. I flipped on the TV to see find the second building come down right before my eyes! Holy ****, i screamed my girlfriend was at work so she hadn't heard anything more then a plane crashing into the first building. I told her i saw the building fall down. I stayed glued to the TV all day.
I knew i didn't want to go to work because it would be so busy. (At the time i worked for a call center that refilled long distance calling cards.) I was not prepared for what i had to do, a large part of our customer base was from the NYC and Washington areas. Everybody wanted to call loved ones those next few days, and everyone was in shock. I took calls from people that worked in the buildings, had loved ones in the buildings, ran from the deadly dust cloud as the towers fell. Everyone was sobbing, some were histerically crying, and they had to wait for us to refill their cards (I remember hold times were almost an hour for a refill).
By the time they got to a live person, they were just so glad to hear a voice that they wanted to share their experiances with us. I remeber one guy talking about how he was in the Pentagon parking lot about 500 yards from the impact point, he was so suprised to see a passenger plane there that he said he just watched it fly into the building, he said the blast knocked him about 5 feet back, amazing and sad stories i heard for the next 2-3 weeks. Looking back on it, those first couple of days taking calls from all those people who's lives were destroyed was prolly some of the hardest of my life. I went to NYC once a couple years ago, i always thought it was an awful city, filled with scummy rude unfeeling people. Those couple days after made me change my mind.
Whoa, got carried away there, if your still with me, that was my Sept. 11th. This is a great post, i would love to hear others.

well, i was supposed to have been on a flight that morning from boston to nyc. i realize that the boston flight that hit was destined for the west coast, but i was supposed to have been in a meeting right next door to the wtc that morning...

....i had cancelled the meeting the day before the event.

i dropped by the WTC site today ... there were lots of people there ... most of the photos i took look like junk ... these aren't self satisfying, but i thought u guys might want to take a peek anywho.

lady reading the poems on the "make-shift" shrine

wtc_lady.jpg

wtc_lady2.jpg

wtc_walking.jpg

this is actually where it was ... just a deep hole (fenced in)

wtc.jpg

Most reactions

Back