9 years ago today

WTC was 1500 miles and another world away from sitting in a tractor in the middle of North Dakota making the dirt black.

Being in the guard though, I KNEW it was just a matter of time before I would be going away from home for a long time.

27 months out of 36 is a long time to leave your family.

The events that occurred that day mean little to me other than we, as a country, have lost to terrorism from the freedoms that we have been forced to surrender.

All in the name of fighting a "war on terrorism".

Way to completely hijack this thread...

Who are you to tell me what I should or should not say about that day?

No one questions your patriotism and your knowledge. I am certainly thankful for those who make our world a safer place. I think what Polyphony means is that it became a pi$$ing contest of who knows more when the thread is really about remembering and honouring those who died in the attack.
That's exactly what I mean.

If someone was to say that I was drunk when I was writing that stuff before, I wouldnt call them a liar...

I had a long hard day at work and just started pounding, I know some of you can relate.

Sorry for going on a pointless rant guys. :(

If someone was to say that I was drunk when I was writing that stuff before, I wouldnt call them a liar...

I had a long hard day at work and just started pounding, I know some of you can relate.

Sorry for going on a pointless rant guys. :(

Sorry you had a rough day. I hope you have support to get through days like today. Here's to more peaceful times.

i was working about 15 miles from the pentagon. we heard the impact but had no clue what was going on. we started to notice cars pulling over and people crying. one of the guys with us came out of the 7-11 and told us we need to get in there and see whats happening. about 15 min of staring at the tv in there i told my guys to pack up and get back to hotel. we could not call anyone so i told them to pack it up and go home to families. on the way back to louisiana we passed up many airports. it was so scary driving past an airport and not seeing a single light on, no planes flying in and out. the work i was doing was fiber installation. i actually got a call from someone claiming to be from the NSA telling us that we were to stop all work in the area. about a minute after i got off the phone i tried to call my boss and i still could not get through. that was spooky.

i was running threw the smoke.. im a volunteer FF.. sad day man.. so many good people gone.

Uh oh its the P3 fight. Next its H53 vs. V22.

We all know the V22 is the loser againest a great machine the Pavelow is.

I live in Israel, but my father, sister and brother live in NY. When the news came in, all the phone lines were down and I couldn't call them. My father worked not far away for the WTC and my sister went to school in Manhattan. I remember feeling numb, preparing myself for bad news.

No one in my family was hurt, but my father's office had to relocate because of the smoke damage. My sister was stuck for a long tie trying to get home that day, still sick from the trauma of seeing the 2nd tower fall. It was so surreal to think of it, because just a couple of years befoe I was in NYC on a visit and my father took me to the top of the tower.

All those people dead. It's still hard to believe.

It was my junior year of college in Buffalo NY. I didn't hear about it until after my morning class, when one of my friends (who was in the Guard) told me what had happened. That was the last time I saw her; she got called up within a few days (not to be overly dramatic, we weren't super close friends and just didn't keep in touch; as far as I know she is fine). I had the same reaction as others, thinking it was a small craft; an accident. Driving to work later that morning, I had the radio on (couple of funny guys with a morning talk show) and they were covering the events...you could hear the fear in their voices. I tried calling my father (in Rochester, 60 miles away from me, 350 miles from NYC) and couldn't get through...I couldn't call anyone, the lines were completed jammed.

My sister was living in Brooklyn and was working (photo shoot, incidentally) at the Chelsea piers when it happened...she saw the whole thing. Took the subway through the WTC station every day. Her boyfriend at the time was a banker in the financial district (Goldman Sachs). He was at work at the time and felt the impact. No one new whether to stay put or run like hell. His apartment was nearby, but he wasn't allowed to access it for several weeks. When he finally was allowed back, he found the windows were blown out, everything covered in ash, and that firefighters had been using it as temporary shelter.

With a major power plant 15 miles away (Niagara Falls), it was pretty spooky to look up and see no passenger jets, but only military planes in the skies.

My thoughts turn largely political at this point, so I will stop here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back