A beginner in need of CC

JohanMike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone!

I'm quite new to photography. I've had my first camera for about five months now. This photo is, in my opinion, the best I have taken to date. All critique is highly appreciated!

6590474855_e704858a04.jpg

It is a picture of a priest. Taken inside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in the old city of Jerusalem.

It's a little cool. Setting the white balance so that the priest's beard is gray instead of bluish-gray gives it a much warmer appearance that I think helps it:

6590474855_e704858a04.jpg

Otherwise a very nich shot. I love the composition and the light.

what he said ^^^

Quite a nice shot. As the other have noted, WB, but also wouldn't mind seeing it with a bit of fill light from the right side of the shot.

Quite a nice shot. As the other have noted, WB, but also wouldn't mind seeing it with a bit of fill light from the right side of the shot.
I thought about that to and while I was editing it I killed some of the shadows on the right side. That column has some beautiful texture in it but it seemed to take a little away from the priest himself. Could have just been how I interpreted it though.

Edit ... I went ahead and added a little light in the lower right. Personally I don't think I like it as well.

6590474855_e704858a04b.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all the ideas! It is true that it looks much better with the WB turned warmer a notch. I personally don't like the idea of removing the shadow from the right corner. Somehow I'm drawn to darker images, so maybe that's the reason I'd like to leave the shadow there.

Thank you very much for all the ideas! It is true that it looks much better with the WB turned warmer a notch. I personally don't like the idea of removing the shadow from the right corner. Somehow I'm drawn to darker images, so maybe that's the reason I'd like to leave the shadow there.
I agree. I prefer the dark lower corner over the light. It seems to enhance the priest's face more, or perhaps just doesn't draw attention away from the priest's face. Maybe it looks like he is looking for answers in the dark. For whatever reason I like the dark much better.

Most reactions

Back