A beginner's shots, C&C. Thank you.

josephche

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a beginner. I took several pics today. Please let me know what do you think. Thank you.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

You can visit them through my picasa:Picasa Web Albums - Joseph - flower-ntu

I am a beginner. I took several pics today. Please let me know what do you think.
I think they look like a beginner took them.

Anyone can point and shoot a camera. The difference between someone who just snaps pictures and a photographer is a photographer thinks a lot about the shot he's trying to get and what he's try to communicate with that shot.

Your pictures aren't bad, they just aren't very good...yet.

Digital Photography Tips For Beginners

Digital Photography Composition Tips

How To Improve Your Photography - 5 Easy Tricks

21 Ways To Shoot Better Photographs

How to Make a Killer Photo using 8 Simple Composition Rules

Learn Photo Composition

Photography Composition - Your Photo As A Story

Photographic Composition

Oh, which camera are you using? Do you know the shot information (ISO, shutter speed, aperture)?

Don't get discouraged. Everyone has different opinions of what is good & bad and what they like and don't like and how tactfully they tell you. To be honest, I rather like the first two shots. I think the stark white background really sets off the color of the flowers and bright green leaves.

Thanks very much for your comment. I am wondering how to improve it. Any suggestion about these pics i post? Thank you. Looking forward to your suggestion.

here is the information on the pictures.

Pic 1
Camera: Canon
Model: Canon PowerShot SX110 IS
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/80 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 31.5mm

Pic 2
Exposure: 1/100 sec
Aperture: 4.3
Focal Length: 60mm

Pic 3
Exposure: 1/250 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 6mm

#1 and #2 have the makings of a good shot in them -- the white background is a good start. One thing that you need to work on is the leaves -- being partly or fully behind the flowers (some of them) is a distraction. There's also a lot going on in those photos, between the (several) flowers, stems, and leaves. You might try focusing in even closer on one or two flowers.

#3... is a picture of a tree. I don't think there's much interesting about it.

Those are just my ideas. Keep working, and pay attention to what YOU like and what YOU don't. Look for patterns. You'll start to learn how to change things around as you take the photos so that they look a little better to you as well. :)

I agree with the last 2 posts about the flowers. I think they turned out nice. I think the only way to make a tree interesting is to get it from unique angle IMO. Otherwise it just looks like a tree, to me anyway.

Thanks a lot. i found that the tree was really beautiful before i took the picture, you see the flowers on the ground... but i looks not good in the picture. I should think more when i shot. otherwise it is "just a tree". you are right. and i have a lot to learn.Thank you

I am wondering how to improve it. Any suggestion about these pics i post?
For the first shot you can either crop in tight to the bunch of plumeria (fragnipani) in the center but don't center the bunch in the new framing...off-set it to one side and a little to the top or bottom. Cropping in tighter will help get rid of a lot of the dead space to the left. Or you could even turn it 90 degrees to the right and then crop off some of the top and the right side a bit. The flower could be situated in the upper right with the green leaves on the bottom.

For the second shot, I guess crop in tighter to the flowers until you're satisfied.

Really don't have any suggestions for the last shot.

Two more books that might help you are "Understanding exposure" and "Learning to See Creatively" by Bryan Peterson. Learning to see Creatively explains about the 6 elements of photography composition
1.Line
2.Shape
3.Form
4.Pattern
5.Texture
6. Color

I borrowed these two books from library. I will read it carefully.

Thank you all very much. really appreciate your advices.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back