A bit of advice for the new members..

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So you just got a new camera for Christmas. Awesome. I hope you enjoy photography as a new hobby, and I, as well as the other regular members on this forum will be more than willing to help you. But please, for the love of God, don't come on here and expect everyone to ooh and ahh over your photos. When you come onto a forum full of professional photographers who have years upon years of experience, you are going to post your "first photos with your new dslr" and you are more than likely going to be told that they suck, with a detailed explanation as to why. Now previous to this you probably posted them to facebook, and your friends oohed and ahhed over them, so you're more than likely going to get butt-hurt by the negative comments on your photos. At this point 80% of you will call the members of this forum arrogant pricks and never come back.

Now, for the 20% of you that remain, if you humble yourself, take advice from the more experienced members, and thicken your skin up a bit so you don't get butt hurt, I promise you that this forum will be a HUGE help to learning photography. But you can't come on here acting like we owe you something, or you will get torn to pieces in every thread you post. You know why this forum has a reputation for being full of @$$holes? Because we're honest, we aren't afraid to tell you your photos suck, and we demand a certain level of professionalism and mutual respect from one another, and most people just can't deal with that.

Now, I'm sure this thread is going to turn into a war, but I don't care. I said what I had to say. It was either post this, or individually go off on every stuck up new member who thought we owed them something.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice im a total noob but im willing to learn in time but how will i know when my pics are good enough to post if i shouldnt post my first pics etc??

Party Pooper! You are going to scare off all of the noobs... who will we pick on? lol! (very good advice, though!)

Way to introduce youself.....lol Now the new members know who to put on ignore...lol

Last edited:
thanks for the advice im a total noob but im willing to learn in time but how will i know when my pics are good enough to post if i shouldnt post my first pics etc??

I never said don't post them. Go ahead, that's what we're here for. But be prepared to get negative comments on them... everybody starts somwhere and nobody produces professional results when they start. There are going to be things wrong with your photos. You'll probably be told they suck at some point. It's all part of the learning process. Use it as motivation to get better instead of tucking your tail between your legs and running away.

Party Pooper! You are going to scare off all of the noobs... who will we pick on? lol! (very good advice, though!)

Oh gosh, what would I do if I didn't have a million "New camera, C&C please" threads to respond to. God, I can see myself getting banned at some point if I dont take a couple days away from this forum lol.

And please, please, please realize that critique takes us a lot of TIME. We do it because we want to and we give a LOT here. We aren't obligated to give anything... like I said we do it because we WANT to. We only do it when we have time on our hands or while doing something else. We aren't here 24/7 DYING for someone to post new photos for us to take a half an hour to cc. We pop in and out-often all day long.
If you don't get cc think. Is it because you posted at 3am? Not many of us here then. Have you been offensive and rude? Cuz it will definitely get you nothing back-we don't owe anyone. What time of day is it? Some times are busier than others... How about the day of the week? Weekends are most people's time with their family and as professional photographers that's our prime time for work too. Weekends are hell on us. Holidays? That's family time for A LOT of us not to mention having a million things going on...
PLEASE be grateful for time we give. You don't have to say "THANK YOU, you are the greatest ever..." Well, maybe...!
I get inbox nudges to take a look at things and I don't mind. Really! If you are working on something specific that you think you need my input in go ahead and send a note. Just know that I am busy at different times. I really will get to it... Most of the time right away. But there are times...

I personally TRY to stay away from the newbie posts or stick to very basic generic CC there. Why? well because the newbies don't know what they don't know and there really is no way to keep them from starting the drama queen stuff if you give them real cc. They just don't know yet. I think most of the pro's are the same way.

Understand what CC is: CC is CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. We TRY to include what the good stuff is, but like I said, CC takes time and we tend to go thru it as fast as we can. We can give the most help by pointing at what is done wrong, poorly or can be improved upon. That does NOT mean your photo is bad or has no value what-so-ever. It's just what you can do differently next time. If you want someone to tell you how fantabulous your photos are and blow sunshine and roses up your azz go to your friends and family. That's what they are there for. We are here to help you learn and grow. Telling you that you're the next Annie Lebovitz isn't going to do that-it's actually going to cost you the chance to be the next Annie.

Somewhere here Keith (I hope I spelled that right this time... He might shoot me! LOL) has posted a starter for those who just got their DSLR. PLEASE use it! Read and start to learn and when you get to where you need help ask!!

And for heaven's sake... Google is a powerful tool. The first few websites that come up when you google something are usually pretty reliable for information! Make use of it!

Yes, noobs. Think of yourselves as Diamonds in the Rough. When they layers get peeled back some of you are going to really dazzle us.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's photos!

Good Advice MLeek! Don't even get me started on the "google it before you ask here" thing though. ugh. I hate this time of year on here.

Blanket statements, generalizations and pigeonholing are for losers (notice the irony?). Let's try to keep an open mind and make decisions of any new member on a case-by-case basis.

I never said don't post them. Go ahead, that's what we're here for. But be prepared to get negative comments on them... everybody starts somwhere and nobody produces professional results when they start.

To follow up on this comment, not EVERY shot you take will suck. You may very well have some good shots in terms of sharpness, exposure, etc, but most importantly in terms of composition. Don't be concerned or scared about posting. Just have an open mind and expect to get straight answers. I posted for the first time about 6 months ago and was told your photo "sucks." I blew up, went away for a week, thought about the comments and I'm still here. Learned a lot in the past 6 months. Also spent a HELL of a lot of money on new lighting equipment...dammit. :lmao:

. Think of yourselves as Diamonds in the Rough. When they layers get peeled back some of you are going to really dazzle us.
Wouldn't that be more akin to an onion? The layers thing? At least that's what Shrek was trying to tell Donkey.

Well put, we come here to become better. I'm a bumbling old fool who would eventually like to learn Zone, but for the most part let the camera think for me and try to fix it up in the darkroom. If you are a true artist, you will be praised and famous after you are dead. Little after thought. Peace

kundalini said:
Wouldn't that be more akin to an onion? The layers thing? At least that's what Shrek was trying to tell Donkey.

Ok let me stick with one metaphor only then...

Some of you noobs are going to stink like an onion and make my eyes burn when I see your pictures.

.... that just sounds soo bad like that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back