A bit of advice for the new members..

Well i'm new here, i found this site a wk ago, and have been reading alot.. I just posted my first pics today, They aren't anything special to you or any professional, they are things that caught my eye, something i found interesting. Everyone knows someone out there will not like there photos, u might be a professional, but i might not like ur photo. In the photography world, i'm a NOOB big time. I will never ask for cc, not for a very long time, but if u look at my photos, and u see something i can change or try again, say it, type it. But saying someones photo just plain sucks, That's a little harsh! How will the person ever get better if they just get "it sucks". Just my opinion that's all.
When did anyone say we're telling anyone their photo "just plain sucks?" I am pretty sure I said " That does NOT mean your photo is bad or has no value what-so-ever." And Destin said"you are more than likely going to be told that they suck, with a detailed explanation as to why." Note the DETAILED EXPLANATION... part.
I didn't see anyone else say anything about "just plain sucks," but I am known for missing things... so it could be. I have never see any of the seasoned members here tell anyone their image sucks, period.
So... what's the problem?

To someone new coming here for help, Or just some good advice on photos they take, don't u think if ur a professional and u say your photo sucks, but it sucks b/c the exposure is bad, or it's under or overexposed. Your basically telling the new person in a nice way the photo just plain sucks. To any new person coming into a form of photography, to see someone tell them, your photo sucks b/c of this and that.

Why not put it in the perspective of: 1. not saying the photo sucks, even if it does. 2. just explain the area they need to work in, on or around. That way someone doesn't take it to heart and be like: i hate this forum, everyone is a arrogant f**k, Most of the ppl have huge egos.

I'm not anyone to argue, i'm sure if i look at some photos of professionals i'll find 10 that i think suck, but i'm not gonna tell him it sucks b/c ---> w/e is wrong with the pic.

These Suck: I do think I have read exactly just that....here. Nothing more, nothing less.

But more often then that, the work 'sucks' enters into many of the critiques and funny enough people internalize that word in ways they asssociate with a personal attack and that impacts their confidence and the rest of the words are just not absorbed.

Then it becomes a conflict over being thin skinned and not taking the critique well.

And then....and so on and so forth....

kreeperxj said:
To someone new coming here for help, Or just some good advice on photos they take, don't u think if ur a professional and u say your photo sucks, but it sucks b/c the exposure is bad, or it's under or overexposed. Your basically telling the new person in a nice way the photo just plain sucks. To any new person coming into a form of photography, to see someone tell them, your photo sucks b/c of this and that.

Why not put it in the perspective of: 1. not saying the photo sucks, even if it does. 2. just explain the area they need to work in, on or around. That way someone doesn't take it to heart and be like: i hate this forum, everyone is a arrogant f**k, Most of the ppl have huge egos.

I'm not anyone to argue, i'm sure if i look at some photos of professionals i'll find 10 that i think suck, but i'm not gonna tell him it sucks b/c ---> w/e is wrong with the pic.

Did you even read the above posts? People don't usually come out and say your photos suck - they tell you what's wrong with it. Telling people what's wrong with their work can irritate people no matter how you put it. Then again nobody is going to say - what a great photo but here's what is wrong. That wouldn't make any sense. You'll never get better if everybody sugarcoats everything.

Something else the New People need to remember...there really aren't that many "professionals" on here critiqueing your images. By an large, the forum is made up of hobbyists, and their knowledge is varied from knowing their sh!t to just parroting back what they have heard before without really understanding the concepts.

Word to your mother!

There are indeed a myriad of levels of accomplishments on this site, but one thing that we all have in common is our enjoyment of Photography.

MTVision, i have read the above posts.
Georgiegirl, nicely put.
Bitter, I def. liked what u said..

Now i'm done with this thread..

You are taking Destin a little to literally. We don't tell people "the image sucks because..." We tell people what is wrong or could be improved. The newbies take it as we are saying the image sucks.

Georgie-you're right. It's that Paul dude who never has anything other than something totally useless to say... like "it sucks." I totally forgot about him! That kind of wording comes from trolls. And EVERY forum gets it's share of trolls.

I don't want to disappoint, so here's one. Does it count more if I know it sucks? ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back