A Bit of Easter Skating :)

gian133

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone. Been practicing my lighting techniques. Let me know what you think. I took these on Easter Day of my younger cousin.

4535377931_357298f3be_b.jpg

4536011346_9420bc5e88_b.jpg

What was your light setup for these?

I'm not so sure that i like the shadow above him, but i really like the composition of number one.

The second one is great, but the background is way to distracting.

YEah the location in both is terrible. He always wants me to take pictures of him so i figured it was good lighting practice so thats what i focused on.

I was going for the hard shadow look in number one. I think it would have worked better tho in a different location.

My setup was a sync cord from my d40 w/ kit lense probably at 18mm to a SB-26 on the ground (little flash stand) no diffusion
first shot from lower camera right
second shot lower camera left

thanks for the comments. hopefully i can fine a better location next time. both him and i are getting better at what we do so everything keeps improving

I am far from an expert on flash, but I am going to say something anyway.

The picture is a little harsh, from the flash,

but... the look on his face and the shadow above him work very well together to paint this picture. His face is very intense, bordering on fear. The big black shadow looks almost as if it is closing in on him like the doom his expression is showing.

*I was told many times during elementary school to use my imagination. ;)

thanks for the critique pbelarge. I like hearing you take on it and the feeling it gave. I'm used to my art classes where you get ten different people with ten different views.

I viewed it as his movement and energy kind of exploding and leading to the big shadow. But hearing you explination i really understand. I think if you focus on his body like i did you feel the energy but when you focus on his face you notice the almost fear like expression.

thanks again
gian

Most reactions

Back