A bit of German Engineering (Leica M3)

o hey tyler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had the opportunity to shoot with a rangefinder for the first time the other day. I ran a roll of Tri-X 400 through it, as I came to grips with focusing on a rangefinder. I had access to a 35mm f/2 summicron and a Canon 50mm f/1.8 (with rounded aperture blades!!!) but I really only used the summicron. Here are a few shots that I took of the camera, I'll be developing the film soon.

$image-3567874430.jpg

$image-1738880110.jpg

$image-3431366118.jpg

$image-698374680.jpg

Nice, I am sure you had a good time ! Too bad for me, I don't want even to touch this stuff, I am afraid I would be hopelessly infected and this GAS is costly. :wink: Is that red filter on the lens ?

timor said:
Nice, I am sure you had a good time ! Too bad for me, I don't want even to touch this stuff, I am afraid I would be hopelessly infected and this GAS is costly. :wink: Is that red filter on the lens ?

I think it's just a UV/IR filter. I had a good time slowing down, using a handheld meter and putting much more thought into each shot.... But I have no desire to ever own a Leica under any circumstances. Unless it were a gift. Still a neat little machine, just not my thing to spend thousands of dollars on.

You should remove or replace the UV/IR filter when shooting film. Its only necessary on an M8 (optional on M9) which is equipped with a sensor that is abnormally sensitive to IR causing color castes especially on synthetic materials.

Leica prices for film cameras are way down, and there are lenses that you can pick up for a reasonanly price. I sold a Leica M3 in "user" condition, but professionally CLA'd for $600. Pick up a Canon 50/1.8 for $150 or so, or a Jupiter-8 for $60, LTM to M adapter- ready to use. A Canon P or Canon 7: Under $200 for a nice body. Leica lens prices are way up. I have a couple of Summicrons that were under $200. A canon 50/1.5 that was $75. Things shot up in the last 6 years.

The M3 has the best viewfinder of any RF camera that I have.

The M3 has the best viewfinder of any RF camera that I have.

Totally agreed... I went from an M3 to a M6 Titanium (classic). The M6 was beautiful but its viewfinder was a step back from the my M3. I should have passed on the M6 and went for an CLA'd M2 as a second camera.

usayit said:
Wait a second....

M3 doesn't have 35mm frame lines. Did you use a cold shoe brightline finder to compose?

Nope. I didn't. Only had it for a day. And a day was long enough to determine that I never want one. But it was still interesting.

usayit said:
So you used the largest framelines to compose?

Yes I did. I also used echolocation as well.

Since getting my M4 i dont like shooting digital best camera i have owned next digital i buy will be an M9

usayit said:
So you used the largest framelines to compose?

Yes I did. I also used echolocation as well.

You'll see when you get your photos back then...

The largest frameline you were composing with is the 50mm frameline (not a 35mm frameline). Which means your 35mm lens will actually be capturing a larger FOV than you probably thought at the time of composition.

Since getting my M4 i dont like shooting digital best camera i have owned next digital i buy will be an M9

The best digital rangefinder that offered the best user experience for me was the Epson R-D1. 1:1 viewfinder!!

I had to sell it but I do have seller's remorse.

Leicas are some sexy a$$ cameras! I just dont see myself shooting any film besides medium format. Maybe i just havent picked up the right 35mm yet.

Most reactions

Back