A bit of German Engineering (Leica M3)

The best digital rangefinder that offered the best user experience for me was the Epson R-D1. 1:1 viewfinder!!

I had to sell it but I do have seller's remorse.

I have seen some great shots on the rangefinder forum from the Epson but they still go for high prices

usayit said:
Wait a second....

M3 doesn't have 35mm frame lines. Did you use a cold shoe brightline finder to compose?

Nope. I didn't. Only had it for a day. And a day was long enough to determine that I never want one. But it was still interesting.

Just curious why you'd never want one? Is it the rangefinder focusing? Done with film? I understand not everyone is comfortable with, or likes rangefinder/manual focus.. Personally, I was hooked for life when I first used a rangefinder and eventually my M6.

..again, just curious.

The best digital rangefinder that offered the best user experience for me was the Epson R-D1. 1:1 viewfinder!!

I had to sell it but I do have seller's remorse.

I have seen some great shots on the rangefinder forum from the Epson but they still go for high prices

Interesting ain't it? Such high demand for a camera that is considered a flop by Epson's measurements. I purchased mine for $1200 USD refurbished direct from Epson Japan and sold it 2 years later for $1400 on ebay...

Not a Leica but not bad, I just got Olympus 35 SP. Tak sharp lens and a spot meter, even Leica doesn't have this.

bhop said:
Just curious why you'd never want one? Is it the rangefinder focusing? Done with film? I understand not everyone is comfortable with, or likes rangefinder/manual focus.. Personally, I was hooked for life when I first used a rangefinder and eventually my M6.

..again, just curious.

I don't mind shooting film at all. I just don't like the size or ergonomics of a camera that small. It's also more natural for me to focus a 35mm cam with a split prism viewfinder.

I wouldn't want to spend $1000+ on a camera that I would have very limited use for.

My only desire to buy a rangefinder would be for the zone focusing and leaf shutter. However, I shoot primarily D lenses (yay for budget) that have DOF meters on them, so i can essentially zone focus on my DSLR. Sure, I don't have the leaf shutter, but that will come with my X100 that I am planning on planning to buy.

bhop said:

..again, just curious.

I don't mind shooting film at all. I just don't like the size or ergonomics of a camera that small. It's also more natural for me to focus a 35mm cam with a split prism viewfinder.

I wouldn't want to spend $1000+ on a camera that I would have very limited use for.

The question is what old canon film camera will be able to use all your current lens? I have no clue because of how many times canon changed their mount.

bhop said:

..again, just curious.

The question is what old canon film camera will be able to use all your current lens? I have no clue because of how many times canon changed their mount.

Hehehehhueahueahuehahueahuehuahueahueahuehahehaehaheha NIKON 1 CANON 0

I shoot my D lenses on my FM, my N90, AND my D7000 perfectly.

jake337 said:

Any EOS camera? 1V, and Rebel 2000, just to name a few. It's not like they didn't make film cameras for EOS lenses. Jake, I know you are not that ignorant.

Or maybe you are, but I had more hope from you.

Certainly can understand... I'm the first to admit that rangefinders isn't for everyone. Its just a different way of going about with a camera... for me its fluid and now feels natural. Tried a Canonet a while back and it sold me on to a Leica M3 with 50mm Summicron and suddenly my entire Canon system was sold to fund the M6 + lenses. It does have limits and at times does feel like an archaic way to shoot.

I had a good time slowing down, using a handheld meter and putting much more thought into each shot....

exactly...

As for Canon mount, people bring it up all the time. Do people not understand that the switch from FD to EOS mount was 25 years ago? In all practicality, its a non-issue and the abandonment of the FD mount actually made good business sense that put Canon on top for quite a while. It was a time when leaving the past behind was shown to be a good move from a technology standpoint. Its the reason why Pentax M-EF failed and Minolta Maxxum was a huge success. Besides... out-of-the-box, Not A Single DSLR I Have Tried makes a suitable platform to shoot older vintage manual lenses.... from neither Canon nor Nikon. Really all designed just for AF lenses.

PS> EOS 1V-HS I had one for a short stint. OMG... get one if you have a chance and still breath film.

Last edited:
usayit said:
Certainly can understand... I'm the first to admit that rangefinders isn't for everyone. Its just a different way of going about with a camera... for me its fluid and now feels natural. Tried a Canonet a while back and it sold me on to a Leica M3 with 50mm Summicron and suddenly my entire Canon system was sold to fund the M6 + lenses. It does have limits and at times does feel like an archaic way to shoot.

exactly...

As for Canon mount, people bring it up all the time. Do people not understand that the switch from FD to EOS mount was 25 years ago? In all practicality, its a non-issue and the abandonment of the FD mount actually made good business sense that put Canon on top for quite a while. It was a time when leaving the past behind was shown to be a good move from a technology standpoint. Its the reason why Pentax M-EF failed and Minolta Maxxum was a huge success. Besides... out-of-the-box, Not A Single DSLR I Have Tried makes a suitable platform to shoot older vintage manual lenses.... from neither Canon nor Nikon. Really all designed just for AF lenses.

PS> EOS 1V-HS I had one for a short stint. OMG... get one if you have a chance and still breath film.

No doubt, I'd really like a 1V... Drool.

Rangefinders have their advantages in certain situations. Such as when using dark filters like IR, dark colored filters, ND filters, etc. The filters have no effect on the viewfinder of an RF camera.

Rangefinders are also usually quieter than SLRs for times when that is important. And, their smaller size tends to draw less attention when shooting candids and street work.

If you like to shoot hand held long exposures for motion effects the rangefinder's viewfinder is not blacked out while the shutter is open.

And, of course, when bystanders ask you "Is that a Leica?" you can smile and say "Yes, it is" as you put your Argus back in the camera bag. ;)

I had access to a 35mm f/2 summicron and a Canon 50mm f/1.8 (with rounded aperture blades!!!) but I really only used the summicron.

Wait a second....

M3 doesn't have 35mm frame lines. Did you use a cold shoe brightline finder to compose?

On the M3: I use the full finder frame for the 40/2 Summicron. I had a Summaron 35/2.8 with goggles for the M3, but sold it.

The 50/3.5 Cintar from the Argus C-3 is a great lens, as good as the Elmar.

I keep my Leica in a Nikon CS-9 soft pouch case. Took it to Gunston Hall this weekend, pulled out the case- Woman at the desk saw the embossed "Nikon" on the front and told me she uses a Nikon also. Pulled the camera at the case, and she said "They made yours look retro, like a Leica". first person that I've come across in a long time that can recognize a Leica, and knew what a Monochrome camera was.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back