A bit sad, I think

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I have to lament a bit. I'm not actively trying to sell my old gear, but I got a card from an outfit looking to buy used equipment for resale. There was a toll-free phone, so I gave a call asking about one of my roll film systems.

I have two Mamiya RB 67 bodys, 90mm, 127mm, 150mm soft, 180mm, prism finder, three 120 backs, Poloroid back, bellows hood. All of this is well used, in good working order. The following is from the email then sent me:

Dear Pete,

Thank you for choosing used camera buyer.com! We would like to make you an offer on your camera equipment. This offer is based on the condition and used market value of your equipment. Also keep in mind that we buy camera equipment to resell, similar to a wholesaler. Please take into consideration the impact digital photography has had on the value of film and digital equipment.

We would like to offer you $350.00 for your camera equipment. This offer is good for 10 days from today.

Pretty sad, huh?

Christie Photo said:

We would like to offer you $350.00 for your camera equipment. This offer is good for 10 days from today.

Pretty sad, huh?

Certainly sad!

Any way/chance to attach a digital back? That possibility might increase the value.

I don't think you'd have any problem selling the gear on Ebay. I wouldn't worry about the company trying to steal your gear for resale. Just ignore it.

true .. at least ebay in Germany is good to sell photographic equipment for a fair price! probably similar in Germany

Remember my name... when you become active about selling send me a message... I love shooting MF and would give you at least a couple dollars more than $350...=)

$350? ouch...that is sad. They are not based out of Nigeria are they? :roll:

I don't think E-bay will lift your spirits in any way because prices there are also extremely low. For good or bad there is no demand for medium format right now and noone will give you anywhere near what you think your equipment is worth. Take it from someone who went through the same thing with Bronicas for what they are worth for re-sale I would rather they collect dust in my closet.

True, but on the flip-side, the low re-sale price of MF gear allows novii (i made that up, I think--plural of novice) to get into a format that was very expensive previously. I mean, I got my K1000 for $25. If that hadn't happened, I might not have ever gotten into photography at all! It's also, I think, a question of economics. A gazillion MF cameras were made, good, very expensive MF cameras. Well, now the market if flooded with surplus gear once pros started to go digital. It's sort of like going down to the army surplus store and buying a $500 artic sleeping bag for $14.99.

Not to belittle your plight, Christi. I've been there. Not with camera gear, but with other things. So I feel your pain.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back