A bunch of flies & others.

orionmystery

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
orionmystery.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A robber fly with prey - froghopper. You can see bubbles in the head of the prey. More robber flies here:
6191430703_6d51ff2e9f_o.jpg

A cotton stainer bug (?)...and an unidentified flying insect on top right, phoridae fly?
6191429763_7fa9062143_o.jpg

A male fly (Calliphoridae > Rhinia apicalis?) with beautiful eyes, on my finger. Slightly cropped on the right.
6191943154_a17c712a9e_o.jpg

Longest natural light exposure ever, 5 seconds! It was windy and the fly was moving...but somehow this shot came out ok.
6191947032_6774062900_o.jpg

Signal fly, Platystomatidae, a species of Loxonevra near decora Fabricius (From DI forum)...too big for the MPE65.
6191426721_352cea46e1_o.jpg

annoying mossie
6191948760_122027e70e_o.jpg

not sure what fly
6191425105_90f4350aaf_o.jpg

Simply stunning :)

The first one is quite incredible. To see the bubbles in his head is fascinating. Presumably, they're air bubbles getting in through the puncture wound made by the Robber?

How do you light these, by the way?

Also, are these single shots or are they stacked multiple shots?

I have a fascination with these insect macros. I'm forever searching for them on Flickr! It's something I'd love to get into but alas, cannot afford the lenses and lighting for it for the foreseeable. Keep them coming!

Last edited:
Simply stunning :)

Truly amazing!

The first one is quite incredible. To see the bubbles in his head is fascinating. Presumably, they're air bubbles getting in through the puncture wound made by the Robber?

How do you light these, by the way?

Also, are these single shots or are they stacked multiple shots?

I have a fascination with these insect macros. I'm forever searching for them on Flickr! It's something I'd love to get into but alas, cannot afford the lenses and lighting for it for the foreseeable. Keep them coming!

Thanks for looking and commenting, Tomasko, StringThing, Forkie.

Forkie - From wikipedia: The short, strong proboscis is used to stab and inject victims with saliva containing neurotoxic and proteolytic enzymes which paralyze and digest the insides; the fly then sucks the liquefied meal through the proboscis. The bubbles you see should be the liquified internal of the prey.

All single shots, unstacked. Although all taken with the MPE65 (except #4), you can get similar result with a cheap tamron sp90. You don't need expensive lighting either. A single 270ex (or equivalent) will do just fine:

270EX for Macro - improved version. | Up Close with Nature

OUTSTANDING first photo! The subsequent photographs are also quite good.

Forkie.... do you have a 50mm or a 35? Get some extension tubes (even cheap ones) or a Raynox DCR-250 ($80)... you would be surprised what you can do. If you already have a flash, you are good to go.... just need to diffuse it (can even be on camera, although that isn't best). A short TTL extension cord would work great, and they aren't expensive. Just some ideas!

Kurt, Lovely shots! That first one is really cool... :)

Forkie.... do you have a 50mm or a 35? Get some extension tubes (even cheap ones) or a Raynox DCR-250 ($80)... you would be surprised what you can do. If you already have a flash, you are good to go.... just need to diffuse it (can even be on camera, although that isn't best). A short TTL extension cord would work great, and they aren't expensive. Just some ideas!

I DO have a 50mm! Thread bookmarked. I shall look into this.

Thanks cgipson!

The fly on your finger has some wicked eyes. Great clarity

I can barely get non-living subjects to stand still that long...nice shots.

Most reactions

Back