A business wants to use my photos. How do I price this?

Bridgett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a photo question I am hoping someone can help me with.

A friend of mine wants to use some of my images for her business (yoga
studio). She wants to use them on her website in web banners as well
as on promotional and advertising materials. She also wants to
incorporate some/one of my images as part of a brand for her studio.

I will retain copyright for my images, but she will be able to use
them in the ways mentioned above.

How do we figure out a fair price for this? I don't know where to begin.

Thanks!

Look at the time you've spent and figiure out a fair price from there. I do commercial shoots like this for a web disigner friend and I get a minimum of $300/day. I provide him the images on a disk.

Maybe if the company wanting the images was running a huge ad campaign i might request more for that use but I guess it's just a small company?

Take a wage that you feel is fair for the time you spend.

Thanks for your input!

She wants to use them as a major part of her brand, which means:
all the time, all over everything they put out, FOREVER. Which is why I am not sure about how to handle pricing...

???

what do you feel your worth. Don't sell yourself short. I'm not saying ask for the keys to a porsche but if you spent a full day shooting these or something like that. look at what it would cost per hour. Graphic Designers get anywhere from 30 to 150 an hour or a base price per project.I prefer to just get a lump sum on stuff like this. But for full brand imaging merchandising I would think anywhere from 500 to 1000 for just a handfull of photographs.

Bridgett....The very first thing to consider is the word you used..."friend".

Decide if this a for a friend or is this a business deal. That decision can make, break, or influence either side of the coin.

I surmise that your photos will comprise a large element in her future promotional work. She intends to make money from your efforts which obviously have SOME value.

A decent day rate of $500-$750 is quite normal for this kind of thing. Thats for shooting only.

Prints and files are billed separately.

Get a figure in your mind as to what YOU think the effort was worth (think like a Pro quality shooter, even if you aren't).

Photo credits don't help much in a situation like this so they have nominal if any true value.

It wouldn't hurt to ask her how much the shots will increase her image/business income. Then ask her outright what she feel is reasonable.
That will give you some idea how serious she is taking your work.
Do some mental math and accept, reject or bargain from there.

I get anywhere from $350 to $750 for a small series of files. Plus the previous mentioed shooting fee.

Most reactions

Back