A Camera. For Real?

RokyRoc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am planning on doing a lot of traveling and I have the option of getting a new camera to take with me. Problem is, I don't know if I am going to be serious with photography yet because my experience thus far has just been random family pictures but I find that every now and then I enjoy taking my time and finding a scene and taking a picture just for the heck of it.

Now my question is will a point and shoot camera be enough for both casual and getting serious or should I invest in a SLR?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

casual = point and shoot
serious = (D)SLR

It really depends on how much time and money you want to invest.

I believe it is better off if you buy the cheapest DSLR you can find. In about 6 months from now most likely you will know if you are a keen photographer or a casual one. By then if you think you feel confident enough to go forward than you can trade in the current camera with more features (for the Pro). Or if you find out that you don't feel like to continue any further than the outlay for the cheap camera is not a burden, and you just keep it.

I hope it make sense to you.

I would go for the digital SLR; even casual photographers can benefit from working with a better camera and there's a lot more room to grow with more than a simple point and shoot.

I'd go for a low price-range DSLR. You can get a Canon XT package, including a lens or two, for cheaper than some high-range P&S.

The only things is going to be size. Since you plan on traveling, you may want a compact P&S out of conveniance. But if you see yourself advancing at all, I'd go DSLR.

I am planning on doing a lot of traveling and I have the option of getting a new camera to take with me. Problem is, I don't know if I am going to be serious with photography yet because my experience thus far has just been random family pictures but I find that every now and then I enjoy taking my time and finding a scene and taking a picture just for the heck of it.

Now my question is will a point and shoot camera be enough for both casual and getting serious or should I invest in a SLR?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

This is totally depending on how much you want to spend. There are some really cool superzoom point and shots that have, like 18x lenses on them! They are really cool for starting out when you don't know what trips your trigger (sports, landscape, wildlife, macro, portraiture, etc.). If you can spend more than $300 or so, I think you'd be better off going with a DSLR. But don't let anyone here tell you you can't still have fun for cheap! Nowadays pretty much anyone can take photos with the technology out there!

Have fun, no matter what you do!

Remember also that SLRs (both traditional and the digital versions) come with 2 things against them:

1) learning curve - even using the auto settings an SLR comes with some learning and practise to get good with so don't dispare if you don't start off strong = less than a month of good use and you will start to pick things up

2) Hound touched on this but a good point and shoot will often come with a good all round lens fixed on it - for the SLR you have to buy that lens and it is hear that you can end up spending a tidy sum

Best thing is to have a play around and see which suits you best

Compared to a point & shoot 'superzoom' camera a dSLR system has yet another serious drawback for travelling: size and weight!

I'd probably look at picking up a Powershot-type camera, like the Canon S5 IS. They're pretty cheap, image quality is good, and has all the manual settings perfect for learning.

I don't think I'd have gotten into photography if my first experiences were carrying an SLR around on holiday.

I'm a huge advocate of people just buying a DSLR, but ask yourself a few questions and add up the numbers...

1. Are you ever frustrated about the pictures you take and wish they could be better? (YES=+1)
  2. Do you mind carrying slightly inconvenient things around in the interest of some higher purpose? (NO=+1)
  3. Are you excited about taking really detailed pictures of things? Like really close up? (YES=+1)
  4. Does the idea of nature photography enthrall you? (YES=+1)
  5. Do you see stunning pictures and think to yourself, "Wow, if only I could take pictures like that? (YES=+1)
  6. Are you willing to have worse pictures in the short run if you know that applying yourself a bit and understanding photography will get you great pictures in the long run? (YES=+1)
  7. Did you post here asking the question about whether or not to get a DSLR? (YES=+1)
The closer you are to 7 points the more likely it is you should get a DSLR. :) If you're at 3 or less, I'd say screw it and go buy a point and shoot.

Get yourself a low end dSLR and then look at the tutorials in my signature. Print them out and take them along with you on your holiday.

All in all, I'd say the most important thing is to make sure that whatever camera you get has manual modes: P, A, S and M modes.

I am getting more and more convinced of getting a dSLR. So I have been looking at some sites and what I have come up with so far is the Canon Digital Rebel XTi and maybe the Nikon D40.

What are some other low end dslr that you would suggest getting?

Higher end point and shoot-with good low light abilities and a bit of a zoom

If you go DSLR you to optimise the camera you need to learn the settings that are not 'the green box' auto, to lean how to do this you need a few good books, hands on experience and time. A DSLR will leave you wanting more lenses and other additions such as filters and tripods,

If you went for a camera that had some advance settings allowing you to set your ISO and maybe a couple of creative modes, this would work well as an entry in to the camera world. once you have mastered the basics and know you like taking pictures I would then think about upgrading to a mid range DSLR with a couple of lenses that suit you photography field

spending $400 on a point and shoot and having something you can always carry around and know you can use is going to be better than spending $$$ on camera then more $$$ on lenses until you know this is a hobby you want to follow through with.

If you decide to go for a DSLR buy a handfull of photography magazines and read all the reviews on the camera's and lenses you can, no body will be able to recomend a particular camera to you, as camera tastes are so personal, once you have narrowed down your choices head to the store, hold the camera, look at where the buttons are and imagine moving those buttons to adjust settings for every picture-that will help you ultimately decide which DSLR you should by, try and get your kit lens with IS to or what ever the brand alternative is, that will help with camera shake.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back