A camera to start...

RobertaForster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello guys,

I'll start a photography course at the beggining of 2009 and I want some sugestions for which camera I should buy... Nikon? Canon? I want to check prices and etc... so, can you give me some advices?
smile.gif

thank you!

Is it a digital or film course? Canon and Nikon both have pretty good "starter" digital cams. If its film, you can probably find some Pentax cams at a good price on ebay.

Not to be rude but, try doing a search on the forums related to this topic. I think it has only been answered a few hundred times. Also look up some reviews online. Set your budget, pick up a few in the store to find a feel you like, then go buy a Canon....
or Nikon :)

I'm new here, but considering that this is a beginner's forum, I would try a search.

BTW, if I could start over, I'd start with film to really experience the feeling of rejection :)

is it a digital class or a film class. my college only offerd film and not digital. the teacher downright hated digital... she thought film was more of an "artform" while digital was "childs toys" i thought it was a bit ridiculous but to each his own. we didnt really learn much other than the rule of thirds, and how aperature relates to shutter speed in that class. pretty big waste of cash but I got my easy credits :)

Well, considering that you can't just dispose pictures on a film camera like you can with digital, then using film makes for a great learning experience.

I Loved film photography! But i would never give up my Canon XTi DSLR!!! I still have all the options...

I will admit that the time in the darkroom and actually watching your pictures BECOME pictures was pretty damn satisfying. Neway, /endthreadhi-jack.

Hello guys, thank you!
I need a Digital camera, I usedo to work with B&W picture in laboratory using an old reflex camera, and now I need a camera to work with photography. I was thinking about Canon 40D or 50D... there's something cheaper and/or better? ehhehehe

hey guys

i am new to photography. I am thinking of a d90 or a casio exilim p&s. This is my first camera and im 8 years old and dont know how to work the internet.

Which camera should i get ;)

cmon dude, half the fun is researching all this ****!!

I was thinking if you want to go with Nikon the D40 would be a good choice with a 18-55 lens any of the 3 will do
Then on the side of cannon i would skip the rebel series if i were u and go for a 30/40D maybe even go back to the Canon 20D if you can get a good deal.
Both of Nikon and Canon are great b/c they are both fighting for first in the Camera Market so you can always trust that there stuff is good.
The reson that i would say skip the Canon rebels is that they dont have the best build quality but dont get me wrong they still take good photos.
Also if your going Nikon dont look at the D40x/60 just go with the D40 they all arepretty much the same camera megapixles dont matter. Also none of the NIkon D40/40x/60 will auto focus none AF-S lens

The reson that i would say skip the Canon rebels is that they dont have the best build quality but dont get me wrong they still take good photos.

I've actually always heard the opposite, I've always heard Canon has GREAT build quality and solid bodies on all their cameras. Is this something you heard or experienced? I've always had great solid cameras with their P&S lines.

Why do people say get the Nikon D40 or if you go Canon skip the rebel series? The Nikon D40 is a...... ahem.....basic camera capable of basic functions. The Rebel line does just the same. Both are great for beginners, but thats about it IMHO. Great images can be made, but size, build, and user friendliness are sub par to better lines. Since no budget was spoken, I say get a Canon 5D or 40D.

Derrick

I have the Canon Rebel xsi and while it is a great camera to me, if I could turn back time I would have bought the 40d. The rebel doesn't do a good job of handling noise at high ISO's. Unless the exposure is dead on, which is something I am working on. If you really have the budget of course get the 5d but if not I would get the 40d and invest in some good glass.

Thank you for your help! I have already started a course and I can use their camera while I'm saving money to buy my own camera. I'm using a canon rebel XT, but I think I'll buy a canon 40D, maybe 50D but it will be very expensive and I think I won't have money, and it didn't come to Brazil yet... and I want my own camera as soon it is possible! About a 5D... well, take it easy, lol, someday I'll be able to this, I'm just beggining :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back