A camera

EvMechan11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I'm new to photography, I've got some books on hold at the library that i'm picking up and my mom is digging out our old film cameras, but I need a new digital camera as my old one's batter is now so bad it wont even turn on even when plugged in. I've been doing research on Cnet and found this Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 Digital camera reviews - CNET Reviews
the ratings are good but I want to hear what professionals have to say about it, I'm currently saving money that i'm making from my blog where I post chapters of a book I'm writing. It will be used for some photography work but most likely daily things like gatherings and stuff. We have excellent old film cameras we got at a garage sale a few years ago, I'll post pictures of them as soon as I find them XD

What do you plan to do in photography? You taking this up as a serious hobby, plans on taking some courses and such? Or just doing it for fun?

If you plan on taking this further, I'd look into a dSLR camera, the ones with the interchangeable lenses. Look for something used, maybe a 30D from Canon or even the Rebel series.

It will be used for some photography work but most likely daily things like gatherings and stuff. We have excellent old film cameras we got at a garage sale a few years ago, I'll post pictures of them as soon as I find them XD
Your choice should work nicely for your intended 'most likely daily things'.

I would reserve the film cameras for the 'photography work' or rent a DSLR and appropriate lens for the purpose.

Ok I got the pics of the old film cameras, I have two of them, there both about 20 years old, still work and in decent condition, there Cannons, one of the lenses is pretty beat up but I have some lense fixer for it. I plan on using photography at first as a serrious hobby with a little side income then later making a decent income off it, and once i am in Collage I DO plan on taking some photography classes. Again we got these at a garage sale a few years ago, got the whole set including case for about $25:p

My_Camera_gear_1_by_evMechan10.jpg

My_Camera_equiptment_2_by_evMechan10.jpg

My_Camera_Equptment_3_by_evMechan10.jpg

I use a Sony Cybershot H-50 and I love it! It's got the "Auto" setting where you point and click, but it also has manual exposure, priority shooting, and some other more advanced features you can experiment with. (Plus it's got a decent video recorder and some other fun stuff. :D) It's not top-of-the-line, but I think it's a great place to start. (I'm a beginner photographer, too.) Then, if you decide this is a hobby you'd like to take to another level, you can buy a SLR.

Here are a few unedited shots I've taken (after lots of practice) with my H-50.
DSC03296.jpg

DSC03052.jpg

DSC01453.jpg

Ok I got the pics of the old film cameras, I have two of them, there both about 20 years old, still work and in decent condition, there Cannons, one of the lenses is pretty beat up but I have some lense fixer for it. I plan on using photography at first as a serrious hobby with a little side income then later making a decent income off it, and once i am in Collage I DO plan on taking some photography classes. Again we got these at a garage sale a few years ago, got the whole set including case for about $25:p
I would suggest saving up a bit more and finding a used entry level DSLR.
They are easy to learn with, and will give you more room to grow. Not to mention they aren't all that expensive, especially like a used Nikon D40.

one of the lenses is pretty beat up but I have some lense fixer for it.
Lens fixer?

Anyway, why not just stick with film for a while until you decide that you enjoy it? Fully auto DSLRs are how a newb can shoot for a month and still not know what it means to 'focus at infinity,' or how aperture and shutter are related (both examples from this forum). And don't let the Nikon and Canon marketing departments fool you. Any camera can take good pictures, even disposables and pinhole cameras. I also think that ANY camera will give you lots of room to grow into (whatever that means) and that any camera will provide you with a challenge and an opportunity to learn.

Most reactions

Back