A confession.

MisledAmoeba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wrote the original post last night when I was feeling very inspired. Now I just feel weird having more or less a journal entry posted for everyone to see.

My sincere thanks to everyone who replied.

That is the very strength of photography!
It is a means to express YOURSELF.
Everyone can take photos of objects.
But to personally interpret them and let that interpretation show and transpire to those who look at the photos is the real secret of photography, I think.
I understand why it costs you.
But on the other hand, do you really exclusively take your photos just for yourself?
Don't you feel you want to share them, and if only with ONE other person (sharing them with the world via the Internet is, indeed, a matter of its own, yet, with your nick and all, you are fairly incognito).
This photo here shows me that taking very personal photographies makes them quite good!

Photography is a strange mixture of voyeurism and exhibitionism.
We peer at the world through a viewfinder like peering into a room through a keyhole. Our intention is to catch the 'fleeting moment' and things unaware; to pin them forever to be studied and enjoyed later at our leisure - again and again.
We can even feel embarassment when caught practicing our vice - especially if we don't want to be seen doing it, as in candids and street scenes.
The act of photographing becomes intimate and private - like masturbation, with which it has a lot in common.
And at the same time we want people to see what we do. To admire our skill, our vision, our dedication. We want the bowing smillies that tell us we have achieved something, perhaps something that others cannot.
But we only want this after we have committed the act - and some of us don't like to admit to it even to ourselves.

The outcome of the act of photographing is the photograph, which is made to be looked at. We acknowledge this when we press the shutter - and that is an act which is premeditated.
If you don't like people seeing the pictures that you take then don't put film in the camera ;)

This is not an off-topic thread, and your feelings are quite natural, especially if your intent is on practicing photography mostly for yourself. We're all our own worst critics. ;)

This thread could be moved to the photography discussion if more comments are generated.

It should be. It is very ON topic and even contains a photo as example. Shall we move it?

terri said:
your feelings are quite natural, especially if your intent is on practicing photography mostly for yourself. We're all our own worst critics. ;)
QUOTE]

This is probably going to sound a bit sado-masichistic, but I'm actually trying to make the transition to professional. I've been planning a lot; photo shoots, darkroom instruction, experiementation with various films (infrared soon!), etc. The nasueous feeling is pretty persistent these days. :) As I said before though, I wouldn't have it any other way. I hope I never lose that feeling because then I'll know I've lost my passion for photograhy and my drive to always be learning more.

I don't ever want to be comfortable. That just wouldn't be any fun.

MisledAmoeba said:
This is probably going to sound a bit sado-masichistic, but I'm actually trying to make the transition to professional.
Then you are going to have to get over these feelings pretty quickly.
A good Art Director will go through your portfolio in the time it takes them to turn the pages - 30 pictures in 30 secs. Then they'll look at you and say 'so what have you done recently?'
Be prepared for that dismissiveness to hurt.
If you are serious about turning pro then you have to learn not to be precious about yourself or your pictures.

Oh I do expect to have my feelings hurt and be rejected quite a bit.

MisledAmoeba said:
Oh I do expect to have my feelings hurt and be rejected quite a bit.
Whatever your expectations they can in no way prepare you for the reality.
You won't just have your feelings hurt - you will have your ego completely crushed. It's quite a kick in the teeth, believe me, and some people never get over it. It shakes your belief in yourself.

I bow to your knowledge and experience. I don't know what else to say.

You don't have to say anything. It was just a friendly heads up. But when it happens just quietly repeat the mantra - Imbecile. You wouldn't know a good picture if it sat up and gave you a haircut. It does help.

Haha, that is a wonderful mantra. Thank you for giving me a heads up.

I wish I didn't miss the first post. Damnit.

You don't have to say anything. It was just a friendly heads up. But when it happens just quietly repeat the mantra - Imbecile. You wouldn't know a good picture if it sat up and gave you a haircut. It does help.

Excellent advise. Wish I had it 30 years ago.

Most reactions

Back