A couple at the beach....C&C Please

Desi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these of my friends a few weeks ago. I was hoping you could take a look and give me your thoughts on them.

These were taken on a cloudy day near sunset. My major challenge was balancing the low ambient light and lighting the subjects with flash. Most of these are shot on manual exposure mode with meter reading taken off the sky. The flash was on-camera for fill flash. My trusty assistant abandoned me because it was cold, so I had nobody to hold the flash for off camera flash (I left the stand in the car). I am fairly new to flash photography, so would appreciate your comments on the lighting.

Clothing choices: she wore bright, reflective running shoes, so I asked her to go barefoot. I couldn't decide what was worse, the black jacket, or the shirt which was the same color as the sand and surrounding rocks. It was kinda cold (in a Southern California sort of way), so we kept the jacket.

I previously posted some shots of this couple earlier,http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...oto-gallery/266805-preggo-pics-cc-please.html, but had not yet done so at the time these shots were taken. So the same criticism applies to these. I didn't really catch the connection between mother and child.

Other issues: I definitely tend to under-expose my photos. I don't have an eye for white balance (though it is improving with practice).

1. Timmy and Lupe at Leo Carrillo Beach. I know....horizon is at midline. I was trying to put them into thirds. I cropped too close to the foot.

DSC_1269.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

2. Trying to keep a more dramatic sky.

DSC_1306.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

DSC_0013.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

DSC_0032.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

DSC_0057.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Desi

Last edited:
i think the major issue here is the clouds. it doesn't fit the happy couple.
next time check the weather before doing a shoot.

I hear ya. Thanks for your input. We had had wonderful sunny days and great sunsets almost the entirety of December, except for that day. The clouds just got thicker as we got closer to the beach, but it was the only day we could all make it out. I tried to make the best of it. I guess I could have exposed the background more instead, but I was trying to make it stand out.

Last edited:
They are nice photos but a bit ominous. I really like the couple on top of the rock. It's not the obvious choice.

Thanks you all for your comments. I am proud of this shoot as it represents the best I've been able to do to date. I'm just trying to see the things that I've missed, especially the things that I don't understand enough to notice.

I'm really trying to train my eye to "see the light". I'm always happy with what the LCD shows me, then on the computer I've got an underexposed image.

Thanks you all for your comments. I am proud of this shoot as it represents the best I've been able to do to date. I'm just trying to see the things that I've missed, especially the things that I don't understand enough to notice.

I'm really trying to train my eye to "see the light". I'm always happy with what the LCD shows me, then on the computer I've got an underexposed image.

That's a great feeling...knowing that you are improving with every new photo. Every time I take a practice portrait of my kids, I always compare it to the first photos I took. It's encouraging knowing that you are getting better with every new book you read and forum you browse.

I like the set. And really when you think about it why does it have be a bright happy sunny day? There will always be ominous times in a relationship, but being happy together through those times despite whats going around you is what makes love special. I like it that it's a little bit different and outside of the box and honestly stands out to me more then the average couple photo which is very commen.

The shots are not bad for what they are and the conditions you were shooting in.
As far as composition, watch your crop. You can always take away after the fact, but you can't add.

Like #1, including more of the foreground would add a little interest and not cut so close to feet

Sorry, the horizontal framing in the first 4 don't do it for me. To environmental.

#1 and #2 look like you could have put a bit more light on them. Tough though with the big difference in their skin tones and the distance in #2.

I'd like to add something about the last one - she's got her hands in her pockets, which is fine, but it's not the right way. See how it kind of looks like her arm ends at her wrist? If she were to have just her thumbs out of the pockets, it would look a lot better.

Well, this is my 100th post...Yipee...so I want to mark this milestone with a huge thank you to everyone who has commented on my pictures. Your comments really help me.

And thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. I've learned a lot looking at your photos, comments, and critiques.

Joey_Ricard, thanks. I agree that this could use more foreground. I cropped closer to give the subject more presence, but I can see that it causes the shot to lose some balance.

KmH, I always appreciate your comments. "Too environmental"...well said.

jowensphoto: thanks. I never know what to do with hands. They always seem awkward to me. I've got to study poses.

Looking at your photos, you've got a great location with lovely textures. I would say to enhance this, make the flash a little less harsh. Open up your aperture for a little more natural light and you won't have to rely as much on the flash, and this will help the couple blend more softly with the background.
I don't know what sort of flash you are using but if you are able to dial it down a notch or two that would help. Then just open up a stop to give a bit more exposure. :)

I would also in post-process (or through white balance) try to warm up the tones a bit, since it looks like sort of a gray day. Either - set your white balance for "cloudy" or in post process, play around in your color balance menu and add just a little red or yellow.

Otherwise, great work so far! I especially like #2 - that rock outcropping is a great find! I hope my small suggestions are helpful!

Heather~
Save the Artist - a creative community

Most reactions

Back