A couple different lens questions

Reece Man

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so I'm looking for a new lens and I've got a couple questions.

First, I'm looking at micro lenses and wondering what it means when it says focusing from life size to infinity? I can't figure that one out.

Second, I'm also looking at a telephoto and thinking about getting a 55-200. Does this lens still have a good wide angle or does that mean that the farthest it can zoom out is as much as my 18-55 totally zoomed in? The wording on that is a little confusing but I hope you guys understand.

I guess that's all for now, if I have anymore questions I'll post here.

edit: also, is that Swoopo website legit? It seems too good to be true...

Last edited:
Second, I'm also looking at a telephoto and thinking about getting a 55-200. Does this lens still have a good wide angle or does that mean that the farthest it can zoom out is as much as my 18-55 totally zoomed in? The wording on that is a little confusing but I hope you guys understand.

The 55-200 is not a wide angle lens, but rather a small telephoto lens. Think of the 55-200 picking up where your 18-55 leaves off. So the combination of these lenses gives you a total focal length of 18-200mm which is suitable for most people's photography's needs.

First, I'm looking at micro lenses and wondering what it means when it says focusing from life size to infinity? I can't figure that one out.

lenses that arent macro capture subjects at an aspect ratio of 2:1 at the max. So this means that the subject is 2 times the size of what we will capture. 1:1 simply means life size - what we capture with a 1:1 macro lens is a direct relation to the size of the subject. Another way to look at it is that a macro lens is the closest thing to what your eye see's in terms of size of the subject in the viewfinder

The 55-200 is not a wide angle lens, but rather a small telephoto lens. Think of the 55-200 picking up where your 18-55 leaves off. So the combination of these lenses gives you a total focal length of 18-200mm which is suitable for most people's photography's needs.

lenses that arent macro capture subjects at an aspect ratio of 2:1 at the max. So this means that the subject is 2 times the size of what we will capture. 1:1 simply means life size - what we capture with a 1:1 macro lens is a direct relation to the size of the subject. Another way to look at it is that a macro lens is the closest thing to what your eye see's in terms of size of the subject in the viewfinder

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I needed to know with both of those questions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back