a couple for C&C

MWC2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cynthialinderbeck.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got bored cleaning up the garage today, so I asked (threaten, bribed) the children to sit for a few minutes.

6739616889_391253d677.jpg

ISO 500
F/5.0
SS: 1/160

6739616183_646a666c82.jpg

ISO 500
F/5.0
SS: 1/80

6739615329_361a2dc034.jpg

ISO 500
F/5.0
SS: 1/250

I think I see some noise, especially on #2. I've blown out the side of blonde child in #1, if I haven't I've cut it really, really close and I needed to get more light in child #2 eyes. They look a little dark.

I welcome any ones feedback on how to make my pictures better.

What's the EXIF on these? First off, I'd turn down the sharpening on the eyes in all three. It's more than a little over the top. There is some noise on #2 like you said, and the right side of the face on #2 is blown a bit, also the left side of the face on #3. Pegging the exposure a little better would be good.

I like the contrasty, crisp look you're going for here. However, it looks a little too clean, if you get what I mean.

Nice shots.

The EXIF data is posted after each image.

For the eyes, I don't do really do to much, their eyes are bright to start with. I do a highpass sharpening at 30px (only on the eyes) before I start editing, then dodge the catch lights at 13% (midtones), remove any redness from the white (clone on the red veins and de-stat if redness is allover the white), I then run an all over sharpen for web-viewing.

Should I maybe drop the first highpass all together?

Yeah, they look a little over sharpened to me as well and kinda gives me a creepy feeling on the first one. Hehe. I say see if you can bring down a little bit like you suggested, and see how that looks.

I agree the eyes are over processed.

Yes...the eyes are just distracting elements when processed this way...this is something that has crept into photography so much these days that it's hard for many people to just leave the eyes alone,and let the entire "person" shine through. The cloning out of the red veins in the eyes of a child...that makes the white look like a ping-pong ball, and creates a faked, googley-eyed look..it screams "unnatural!!!!" As does lightening up of the iris area of the eye...when we can see the detailing and striations and whatnot in that part of the eye in a medium close-up of a person, it's also very unnatural--that kind of eye detail is normally not visible until one is a foot or closer to a person...

Thanks everyone.. here are the same pictures in colour but with no pre-sharpening. Do these look better?

6744660229_f027567675.jpg

6745003853_62b959ef23.jpg

6745002157_6d4332da50.jpg

I like these much better in color.
as another 'just a mom with a camera' I always enjoy seeing your work....I wish I could get shots like that of my kids.
cute kids, btw

I like these much better in color.
as another 'just a mom with a camera' I always enjoy seeing your work....I wish I could get shots like that of my kids.
cute kids, btw

Just duct tape them to the floor, it works wonders and you can practice for hours while they try to "escape" Don't forget to throw some food/snacks/candy just out of arms reach to help get wonderful facial expressions. ;)

Thank you for your kind words.

I've seen your photos before. You're children have immensely beautiful and stand out eyes. You don't photoshop to show that :)

Love these pics in color!

colors are better.
what camera and lens are you using?

I like the color version better. Your daughters eyes are very pretty.

I've seen your photos before. You're children have immensely beautiful and stand out eyes. You don't photoshop to show that :)

Thank you, I really do need to get new subjects. They are getting tried of the camera, and in all honestly I'm getting bored looking at their faces thru the view finder. :)

Love these pics in color!

Thanks

colors are better.
what camera and lens are you using?

Thank you. Canon 40D and the love of my life the 24-70L (well until I convince my hubby that every hobbyist needs a 70-200L, lol)

I like the color version better. Your daughters eyes are very pretty.

They get them from their father, mine are boring grey. :(

Both my wife and I have different shades of blue. My daughters' eyes are closer to my shade of blue. I'll be interested to see what our next daughters eyes will look like.

Most reactions

Back