A Couple Long Exposures of Pittsburgh

Hof8231

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
C&C always encouraged and appreciated! All pictures taken that night were in RAW with my Canon 5D Mark III, Aperture Priority mode using f/8 or f/10 for 20-30 seconds, and either my Tamron 24-70 2.8 or Canon 70-200 2.8 IS. Thanks for looking!

9511987725_bb8ace406e_b.jpg

9514774610_409a8bfbfd_b.jpg

9514774062_8d960ddf9e_b.jpg

I know the saturation is a bit high in them, but I liked how the lights/bridges looked when I upped the saturation. Any comments on that (or anything else at all) welcome!

I like the overall composition but yes, the saturation is way too much. I wish there were a gentler way to say this, but I quite hate it. The last picture is much better, but those first two are...well, garish. I lived in Pittsburgh for 4 years and know that view from Mt.Washington quite well. Those bridges are already yellow and beautiful without artificial saturation. It's just too much.

I like the overall composition but yes, the saturation is way too much. I wish there were a gentler way to say this, but I quite hate it. The last picture is much better, but those first two are...well, garish. I lived in Pittsburgh for 4 years and know that view from Mt.Washington quite well. Those bridges are already yellow and beautiful without artificial saturation. It's just too much.

I appreciate the input very much. I'm now seeing what you mean about the saturation. It is really overwhelming. Meh, not my best effort. I find myself trying to do too much in post processing very often. I need to work on that.
#3 is gorgeous.

Thanks!

Toned down the saturation on the first two.

9515087890_dc269db7c3_b.jpg

9515086964_a296a826c5_b.jpg

I could see wanting to bump the colors a bit - the color of those rivers can be a bit dull at times amd you'd want that yellow to pop a bit more - but there are ways to do it in which you select only some colors to highlight, but within more 'normal' ranges so it looks vibrant but not oversaturated. I don't know what PP software you're using, but I'm sure there is a channel mixer or a red/green/blue setting adjustment. Try playing with those instead of just saturating the entire picture.

But as you said, you probably just went to far. I do like the composition and it looks like you pulled off the long exposure quite well. Just dial back on the PP a bit.

And yes, the third one is much much better. That's the Pittsburgh I know and love :) Still a tad bit too far for my taste, but that's just a preference, not a criticism.

You posted those edits as I was typing that last comment, so I'm referring to the original pictures, not those edits.

The first one (second one in the original post) seems a lot better to me, more like the third.

I think what's getting me about the shot of the Smithfield+three bridges is that I've never seen the water of the Monongahela that color, so it's always going to seem off to me. But it's definitely getting better.

IMO saturation is ok here.

Most reactions

Back