A couple more portraits for C&C

InTheShoot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bumped up the contrast in camera just a little as I want to try and get better detail and punchy colour... I am quite happy with these but would love some C&C.

#1.
3641992089_02aeab1116_b.jpg

#2.
3641990221_91c853bd3a_b.jpg

#3.
3642827458_1df7892d49_o.jpg

This photographer has the exact style I want and the quality I aspire to - I know my pics are way off that but that's where I hope to be:
http://www.stephaniefayblog.com/

Oh very nice exposure on the first 2, the 2nd one though kind of confuses me with it being on an angle and the boards coming through on a diff angle. The 3rd I would really love but her face just seems too shadowed, makes it difficult to see her eyes and her hand is slightly blown out. Overall though the composition on all 3 are GREAT. I think the first one is my fav, great light catch in the eye! Thanks for sharing, I look forward to seeing more pics from you

Last edited:
You should be happy, these are good. #2 has too much tilt and #3 has the hot spot on her hand, but it is such a great shot that it doesn't bother me too much.

Thanks... Hot spots seem to be one of my main problems, both times I have posted for C&C this has come up, so it's something I need to really be consciously aware of during a shoot!

If you look at your histogram you should see the whites being blowed up. Try spot metering on the brightest part and using a defused fill flash if handy.

1. Great composition and creative angle.
2. You're getting a little crazy with the angle. It distracts from the image, the first thing I thought when I saw it was "wow, the angle is too much".
3. Cute pic, but I would have used a flash on this one. The face and eyes are a little dark with the sun beating down on the top of her head. A flash would have leveled things out and really brought out the features of her face. Truth be told, I would have used a defuser to block some of those harsh rays, or I would have taken the shot in a shaded area.

Great pics though, the composition on all of them is good.

As for the hot spots, you really need to avoid mid-day sun or use a defuser to block the sun from your subjects. Also, flash helps a lot in evening out the harsh lighting of the mid-day sun.

Example:

This pic was shot without a flash to show how dark my sons features were even in bright summer sun without a cloud in the sky.

550397281_TKVfi-M.jpg

Here's another shot from the same day using a flash to level things out.

550389548_uZGbK-M.jpg

You can still see the sun over powering my flash on top of his head (and I should have moved him up a little more in frame, but he was swinging), but this is much better than the shot above where his blue eyes look brown.

Wow, thanks so much - The difference is so noticable between your two photos! I will play around with the flash tomorrow and see how I get on!

Most reactions

Back