A couple of dumb PS question

Dmitri

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
#1: I save my images as Raw + JPG. I just noticed that when I open a RAW file it opens the image at 3888x2592 pixels (which it shows at 16.2 x 10.8 inches). When I open a JPG it opens at 3888x2592 pixels (which is shows at 54 x 36 inches!). So first dumb question is: Should I be worried about what it says for inches, or pixels? Otherwise it seems I would get better quality from JPG when I crop?

#2: When I crop an image and I set the values for the crop manually (say 12 x 8 inches), I do this force an 'aspect ratio' for printing. My question is: When I manually set my crop width and height like that, am I forcing a resample that I probably don't want? Would it turn an otherwise larger image smaller, or smaller to larger?

Thanks.

For #1 - your resolution for your RAW files is whatever your import program (camera raw?) is set to. Likely 240? Off the camera, the jpegs will be at 72. (240/72 = 3.33, 3.33 * 16.2 = 54 so I'm guessing 240 and 72 are the ppi resolutions).

For #2 someone else will have to answer definitively because I don't crop this way, but my feelers say you're probably forcing a resample that you don't want and/or don't have terribly much control over.

For #1 - your resolution for your RAW files is whatever your import program (camera raw?) is set to. Likely 240? Off the camera, the jpegs will be at 72. (240/72 = 3.33, 3.33 * 16.2 = 54 so I'm guessing 240 and 72 are the ppi resolutions).

Does this make a difference? Should I change my RAW settings to 70 then, or 300 even? Or is it the pixels that matter more than the ppi?

For #2 someone else will have to answer definitively because I don't crop this way, but my feelers say you're probably forcing a resample that you don't want and/or don't have terribly much control over.

Crud, that's what I thought. Have to find a new way to do the ratio thing then.

Thanks for the words, Rufus.

#1:Should I be worried about what it says for inches, or pixels? Otherwise it seems I would get better quality from JPG when I crop?

Quality-wise just worry about pixels. If you are getting different inch measures for the same pixel count it just means that the ppi is set differently for the different file types. Ppi is just scale.

#2: When I crop an image and I set the values for the crop manually (say 12 x 8 inches), I do this force an 'aspect ratio' for printing. My question is: When I manually set my crop width and height like that, am I forcing a resample that I probably don't want? Would it turn an otherwise larger image smaller, or smaller to larger?

I'm pretty sure the only way Photoshop would resample your image is if you have the Image Size window open, and you've got the resample image box checked.

Quality-wise just worry about pixels. If you are getting different inch measures for the same pixel count it just means that the ppi is set differently for the different file types. Ppi is just scale.

Aaah ok, that sets my mind at ease. Thanks man.

I'm pretty sure the only way Photoshop would resample your image is if you have the Image Size window open, and you've got the resample image box checked.

Again, thanks for the info. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back