A Day Late

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I botched yesterdays Harvest Moon pics but I managed the moon tonight. Handheld so it's so-so.
600mm, 1/125 sec, f/11, ISO 100.

IMG_9065 (2)psblood moon.jpg

Nice colour, a little camera shake there. Did you use image stabilisation at all? I find that in a pinch I can shoot much slower at longer focal lengths with it on.

Nice colour, a little camera shake there. Did you use image stabilisation at all? I find that in a pinch I can shoot much slower at longer focal lengths with it on.

Thanks. Good eye there, weepete, thanks for pointing it out, it may help me to remember to check it more often. I'm bad about not checking the lens settings.

Thanks. Good eye there, weepete, thanks for pointing it out, it may help me to remember to check it more often. I'm bad about not checking the lens settings.

No worries mate, I've had my fair share of realising I could have used stabilisation after the fact!

It is awesome.. full of detail..mine was just big and white.

Thank you very much. I wasn't sure if it would have the same color as the Hunters Moon when low on the horizon , I lucked out.
I don't know if you've seen this before but it's what I use to catch the moon at good times, GL!
Moongiant

Thank you very much. I wasn't sure if it would have the same color as the Hunters Moon when low on the horizon , I lucked out.
I don't know if you've seen this before but it's what I use to catch the moon at good times, GL!
Moongiant
no i never saw this..thanks for info... i practically have given up moon shots though..with out a far reaching lens like yours it is very little chance of vivid detail like you have captured...

Moongiant
no i never saw this..thanks for info... i practically have given up moon shots though..with out a far reaching lens like yours it is very little chance of vivid detail like you have captured...

I'm truly sorry to hear that. You know, I have a 500mm kit lens and it's not great for birding at great distances but it isn't bad for ones at medium range (20-30 yrds.) and it's probably better at capturing moon shots than anything else. It's taken some great shots of the moon. I'll never use it again and I won't bother trying to sell it either so it's yours if you want it. Just say the word.

Good color and detail in that one Kirk. Too bad about the camera shake. Were you bracing it on anything? I used to love to shoot the moon back with I had my 500mm f4 L. It on my 20D with a 1.4x made for some serious reach! Now that my longest lens is the 70-200mm, I don't really try and shoot it. I've also found that some of the best moon photos are when it is not full. The side lighting from the sun really makes the details pop.

Good color and detail in that one Kirk. Too bad about the camera shake. Were you bracing it on anything? I used to love to shoot the moon back with I had my 500mm f4 L. It on my 20D with a 1.4x made for some serious reach! Now that my longest lens is the 70-200mm, I don't really try and shoot it. I've also found that some of the best moon photos are when it is not full. The side lighting from the sun really makes the details pop.

Thanks, I appreciate the comments. About the camera shake, I was braced as best as I could and using a pillar to help but at 600mm the slightest movement is all it takes to put the whammy on what might otherwise be a nice pic. My biggest mistake was not using the VR on the lens. I haven't been using it because it did odd things that are hard to explain (the lens moves internally???) but apparently that's just normal. My latest moon pics look much better I think with the same pillar for support and VR turned on, much sharper image, take a look.

Agreed on the full moon images, even my latest pic of it at 94% looks better with a small portion in the dark and creating more shadows/contrast. A half moon is maybe the best, imo.

Last edited:
If you posted a pic in that last comment, I can't see it. But I concur that at 600mm, there is not much you can do if it is not on a tripod.

Even the Canon IS lenses have that internal movement when you initiate the shutter release button. It does take a while to get used to. In the early days, my biggest problem was remembering to switch from 4 axis stabilization to 2 axis when I wanted to pan/track moving subjects.

If you posted a pic in that last comment, I can't see it. But I concur that at 600mm, there is not much you can do if it is not on a tripod.

Even the Canon IS lenses have that internal movement when you initiate the shutter release button. It does take a while to get used to. In the early days, my biggest problem was remembering to switch from 4 axis stabilization to 2 axis when I wanted to pan/track moving subjects.

Sorry, it's under Photo Themes/The Moon.

Most reactions

Back