A Day On The Island (part 1)

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
On July 8 it was my father-in-law's birthday. He turned 83. His elder son, i.e. Andreas' big brother Thomas, wanted to give him A Day On The Island as birthday present, and they then decided to have us come along and spend the day with them. And while we did not set out in the nicest of weathers off the main land at Neuharlingersiel towards the Frisian North Sea Island of Spiekeroog just off the Lower Saxony coastline (it was pouring), we did spend a lovely day on the island in the end.

0_002_Neuharlingersiel.jpg

In the harbour of Neuharlingersiel

(Later - on the ferry - I took this_photo of my son with the superstructures on the all painted in white as his backdrop)

170518717.jpg

Once arrived on the island, the rain stopped and the sky became brighter, even though the cloud cover stayed and would not budge until about 2:30h in the afternoon. We still had to take photos, Sabine and I. :D

0_010_Stranddisteln.jpg

My take of these special thistles (Sabine may well post her own pics herself)

170518715.jpg

I also saw this forgotten hat there on the fence post, and since the day was still a little grey, I quite liked the splash of colour here ;).

170518720.jpg

Once we had installed ourselves ("we" being "the birthday child", of course, my brother-in-law Thomas and his wife Jutta, and the four Schleiffers here, i.e. Andreas, Corinna, Florian and Sabine), Thomas insisted on going for a swim at once ("We are on the beach, after all!"), despite the fairly chilly weather, but his "little brother" would not step out of his shorts and t-shirt. All the same, my father-in-law said he wanted a pic of himself and his two sons on the beach taken by "our court photographer here" (meaning me :oops: ;)), so I made a big show of it calling out to them "Yes, right, just like this, you are suuuuper, and a smile for the camera" and so on ... which made everyone else there look and smile :biggrin: - heehee.

0_038_ZweiMutige.jpg

And sure enough, those two went for a swim, while...

0_040_Andreas.jpg

... Andreas was happy to only bathe his feet in the North Sea water.

0_041_FloDrachen.jpg

Florian preferred to stay in his clothes, too, for the time being, and decided he'd much rather try to fly his kite (he later went swimming with Thomas and then they went for a run along the beach almost to the farthest tip of the island).

0_046_AndreasSabineDrachen_panocrop.jpg

Sabine and her dad tried to do the same, but it was no good, there was far too little wind at the time.

More in another part.

wow! nice story Corinna! Yesterday I was at the seaside as well but... I haven't taken photos... the weather was so nice ad it was soooo hot that I decided to spend the whole day on the beach with my friends. but the water was not very clean... there are too many "greenery" in our Baltic sea (I mean those green plants in the water - they are disgusting!)

Algae? Ugh.
They smell....

Thanks for the replies, Song and Mentos, and yes, maybe, if the weather had been as sunny, warm and nice as it was after 2:30h, I may have left the camera alone more. But while it was not so nice, I felt a little bored and just had to go around and take some pics (you are only seeing a tiny fraction here :greenpbl: )

Thanks ... and the family pics are just for those who'd like to meet my family... (some here know me and my husband in person and might therefore be interested).

Most reactions

Back