A Different SB-800 question

I'm considering the SB-400, how much "worse" is it than the 600? It's only $100 on amazon. . ., is the extra $85 for the SB-600 worth it?
Yes............from my understanding. I dunno for camera bodies that don't have the Commander mode for off-camera flash, but with, I would not consider less. The SB-600 with the (adjustable) head at 90° is 4" (centerline) above the hotshoe (6.5" positioned straight up). You can adjust the head and zoom factor in multiple directions and outputs.

Do a keyword search on the forum on the shortcomings of the SB-400 to see for yourself.

i still don't understand all the hype around lighting, do the built in flashes suck that much?

I'm considering the SB-400, how much "worse" is it than the 600? It's only $100 on amazon. . ., is the extra $85 for the SB-600 worth it?

It all depends on what you want to do. The built in flash is very limited in range. The more you spend, the more range (power) and features in the flash. I went will the 800 for those reasons. Off camera flash gives you a lot more creative flexibility.

so, after 46 responses i ordered the SB-600.... After talking with the guy at the local shop, neither one of us could come up with a good enough reason for me to grab the 800 over the 600 for what i wanted to do.

So i ordered that today + 4gb worth of memory for $130 less then i was going to spend on the sb800

Thats fine. You will love it! But let me warn you, it will become addicting...:D

John, you may know, Does the 600 have a mode like SU-4 on the 800?

No, the 800 is the only one that can command another flash/s. But if you shoot a D-70,D200,D80,D300 and maybe the D50 it's built in flash can command the others.

Stranger, I don't think you would have gone wrong with either choice. However, now you have a few more coins in your pocket. Have fun!

Those coins shall soon disappear when i pickup the 105VR. :). Bah, its all in fun

Thanks guys

Or even like this ;)

Nikon-speedlight-r1c1-r1-tm.jpg

What is this setup? i checked on B&H but couldn't find anything.

Its called R1. Its nothing rare. Comes with two flashes as standard, but you can buy more. I think it costs about the same as 800, so much much better choice for macro imho. But i havent tried it yet, will buy it soon though.

Its called R1. Its nothing rare. Comes with two flashes as standard, but you can buy more. I think it costs about the same as 800, so much much better choice for macro imho. But i havent tried it yet, will buy it soon though.

It's pretty cool. I guess if you had 4 of the SB-R200 Wireless Remote Speedlights on there it would kind of function like a ring light also wouldn't it for portraits?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back