A Different SB-800 question

Stranger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hope :)

I am planning on getting the 105VR soon and will be needing a flash. I would love to buy the SB-600 because the obvious $100+ difference but am wondering about the -6 degree downward rotation of the SB-800.

I currently own the D50 and can not use the flash off camera. Is the downward rotation necessary or will the sb600 be just as capable of lighting my subjects as the sb800?

I hope :)

I am planning on getting the 105VR soon and will be needing a flash. I would love to buy the SB-600 because the obvious $100+ difference but am wondering about the -6 degree downward rotation of the SB-800.

I currently own the D50 and can not use the flash off camera. Is the downward rotation necessary or will the sb600 be just as capable of lighting my subjects as the sb800?

The down angle is for close subjects. The reason I like the SB-800 though is the higher power output. It also comes with gels and a hood style diffuser that I use very often. The diffuser would set you back $20 or more, so now you are down to a $80 difference and still less power and functions.

You can use the SB-800 off camera in the slave mode, you just cant use CLS. So that means you would have to adjust the power manually ( its really not hard )

I would say to get the 800 just because it is the best, and you can grow into it, and learn about the CLS. Then when you get addicted ( like me ) you can get a couple of 600's.

Thanks for quick response. So the downward tilt will help for my 1:1?? I think I am sold then. I would probably regret buying the sb600 and not spending the extra $100.

@Scott, the D50 does not have commander mode?

Nope it does not, but you can use the in camera flash on manual, lower the power. That way it will still trigger the 800.

I know that I would have kicked myself if i had gone with the 600.

Scott, so would the trick of putting exposed film over the flash to act as filter still trigger the flash and not effect the lighting of the subject? or will the low level of the flash be made unnoticable by the 800?

You can try it! I know that the 800's sensor is really sensitive, but im not sure... I may have to try that!

But, if you have your built in flash on the lowest power, and the 800 on a bit of a higher power combined with a higher shutter speed and aperture.

Yea, i heard it allows the light to go through to set off the flash but does not allow enough visible light to make any change.

How would i strategically use the sb800 off camera for my macro shots? i dont plan on a tripod

Use the provided diffuser, and you can just hold it with your hand. Thats what i do anywho.

hmm holding sb800 while holding D50 + 105 VR 1:1.... i will try once i get lens and figure feel it. Shall order sb-800 tomorrow.. Thanks mate

yup, it may be a little wierd at first, but it will get easier. :D have fun with it...

Oh yea where you going to get it?

I will order from adorama. Honestly, im at college right now in the winter and have no use for SB800 right now but i figure if i order it now, i can have it when spring comes and i go home for my break.. Have planned to have the 105VR and SB800 as my welcoming gift to myself :)

LOL, im a poor college kid... Wont be home long enough to go shoot until spring. Something about walking around campus with $1500+ worth of equipment on me doesnt seem fitting?

I walk around my high school with 4000+ of equipment every day ... and its all mine, not the schools. ( i do yearbook and newspaper )

Its pretty stressfull... I can relate.

Most reactions

Back